Microsoft loses Lindows appeal

Darkelve

It amazes me that common sense can be so abandoned.

Its really rather simple, indeed the whole name thing actually mirrors what MS have progressively done.

It is apparent that it was pre-existing as a term prior to windows 1.0. I distinctly remember using DEC Windows (im that old)

Since then MS has put competition out of business and Windows has come to mean windows :tm: .

At the same time an 'OS' has practically become synonymous with windows too, even though Windows only approximates to its original definition...so what ??

Lets see the codenamefor win95 was Chicago....Im sure if you went through the source you still see references to Chicago.... but Chicago is a city.

Much as its embarassing to be associated with MS Chicago would look silly trying to sue MS over calling a beta release Chicago. DOH, its just a name they used.

When you look at Lindows it suggests Linux and Windows... and thats fairly accurate. If DEC or someone want to complain I guess they could but since MS copied it in the first place this is just stupid.

It reminds me exactly of the Budweiser/Budwar thing. Anhauser actually sued another american company for calling there beer Budweiser. Their grounds for this was they had copied the original from Budwar. This is a matter of court record in St Louis. Indeed they were proud to have copied the original.

Then years later and the Czech republic want to sell their beer bearing the name of their town in Europe and the people who happily admited STEALING the name try and sue them ??? Instead of realising they had a good run on someone else's name they feel they now own the name.

Imagine being in a hotel and being mistaken for someone famous. Every drink you get the barman says "hey thats on the house"

OK so you never actually TOLD them you were the person they mistook you for, its there mistake so hey live it up.

However if the REAL person turns up trying to sue them over theior own identity is crazy beyond belief. In this case however its not the real person its another doppleganger! But this ine is at least honest and just claim to look like whoever!

MS NEVER owned a Windows concept, they 'borrrowed' it is the most charitable I can be and they had a good run and made lots of money. Now the doppleganger has turned up and they are complaining as if they originally invented the term.

They should really be embarassed but instead they just miss the whole fact ....they stole it in the first place.

To me I find it incredible that courts tolerate this game.

That Swedish and Belgian courts have sided with the imposter is incredible. It beggars belief. If I go to Sweden and claim to be the King of Sweden and sue the present King I'd expect to be found out pretty quickly. I'd also expect the court would tell me to stop being so foolish and either seek medical help for being delusional or if I try it again I would be locked up.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Why is it MicroSoft not only can do this but noone shouts that the emporor has no clothes?

C'mon Gowator, doom-thinking will get you nowhere ;) But I know it's good once in a while to let it all out... A lot of M$ stuff can really be infuriating. Especially for those of us with a strong sense of justice and/or integrity.

And like everything else, this will eventually backfire.

Edited by Darkelve

dunno Darkelve...

I keep thinking people will see through MS....

but in general people don't want to.

Those who do are labelled as eccentric or whatever... mainly its just crap.

If I complain at work about something not working in windows or having to reboot or loosing work its just accepted. If that happened on the UNIX network there would be an enquiry and meetings.

Its not really the acceptance its the complicity. Everyone knows it doesnt work BUT at the same time everyone pretends it does.

Yesterday my companies internal publicity TV broke down, no bad thing since it does the stock price and keeps playing the same mind numbing music. However its not the first time it comes up and yesterday we had Active Desktop on the big plasma screens for everyone to see.. This competes with previous favorites like BSOD or Windows has become unstable please reboot.... etc.

Then, I go tot get the RER and the big plasma screens for the Paris trains are all showing Windows desktop..... the ticket machines are rebooting into embedded NT.... AHHHHHH

Its only obvious it is windows because it goes wrong! Yet I heard people saying hey cool its running windows 2000! when I was going down the escalator....

How do MS do it.... even when it goes wrong it seems to be FREE advertising for them...no publicity is bad publicity ???

How do MS do it.... even when it goes wrong it seems to be FREE advertising for them...no publicity is bad publicity ???

If I complain at work about something not working in windows or having to reboot or loosing work its just accepted. If that happened on the UNIX network there would be an enquiry and meetings.

Its not really the acceptance its the complicity. Everyone knows it doesnt work BUT at the same time everyone pretends it does.

Yesterday my companies internal publicity TV broke down, no bad thing since it does the stock price and keeps playing the same mind numbing music. However its not the first time it comes up and yesterday we had Active Desktop on the big plasma screens for everyone to see.. This competes with previous favorites like BSOD or Windows has become unstable please reboot.... etc.

Then, I go tot get the RER and the big plasma screens for the Paris trains are all showing Windows desktop..... the ticket machines are rebooting into embedded NT.... AHHHHHH

Its only obvious it is windows because it goes wrong! Yet I heard people saying hey cool its running windows 2000! when I was going down the escalator....

I think you meant to say: "There is no such thing as bad publicity" ;)

People don't really care about what is M$. Well, they probably would if they knew the whole story, but that is conveniently being kept under wraps. In fact, I think people don't care what OS they are running. If it ran all the programs and did all the things they are using right now, they might as well have FreeBSD or BeOS installed and not care much.

Everyone is running Windows, so it must be right, right? Besides, you can only buy computers with Windows on it, so there must be only one OS for consumers, they unconsciously think.

Then if people with the REAL 'facts' try and educate them, they just don't care. So what, my PC works for me, ... the magic trick which M$ managed to pull is in when something goes wrong, letting users think THEY are the problem for not knowing enough about computers, ...

And the main problem is also the current generation of (Windows) IT staff, basically picked out of every person who could use a mouse, keyboard and read instructions on dialogue boxes.

Edit: okay, so I am over-generalizing here, however, this situation DOES exist.

When my PC crashed a couple of times, instead of first recovering my data on hard disk, they decide to just reinstall it and copy the data from the backup system. Which of course means a lot of days work is missing!

Next time I have a crash I swear to god I'm just gonna plug in that Mepis LiveCD, take a few CD-RW's and write my disk contents to it with K3B. Screw brain-dead policy.

Ticket machines with crashing Windows are cool? People are crazy... they sure buy a lot of nonsense when something comes from a *cough* 'authority'.

But people are getting smarter all the time. Linux is getting better all the time. The moves of M$ keep being scrutinized. This all matters in the end. Inertia and resistance the the 'new' are the worst enemies of Linux/FLOSS. BUT: at one time, Windows was 'new' to these people as well.

So I am happy to be living today at what may well be the turn of the tide. It may take some time to break the M$ monopoly, but it WILL break eventually.

Right now, the heart of the combat is the GPL and software patents. The GPL is ingenious in that it will be practically impossible for an entity to gain control over a particular piece of software. By making use of GPL'ed software and components, a truly competitive landscape is being made possible. But M$ don't WANT a truly competitive landscape. Part of the 'patent push' is just that: to make the use of GPL'ed software and components potentially dangerous and, as a consequence, expensive or even impossible.

But my POV is that M$ is fighting a war on too many fronts at the same time, that their tactics will backfire on them, that we will have a competitive landscape again and that I will still be alive to witness it ;) Who knows M$ will even compete fairly in this new situation.

Edited by Darkelve

That Swedish and Belgian courts have sided with the imposter is incredible.

How, how, hold your horses. Belgian courts have nothing to do with this. It's not because half of Belgium also speaks dutch that we are from the Netherlands! I was gonna add some joke to that but I don't know if the political / religious ban would allow that.

In any case, the dutch people live in a country called The Netherlands (also called Holland) and speak dutch. In Belgium there are two peoples: the Flemish that speak dutch and the Walloons that speak french. So two dutch speaking peoples but in two very distinct countries.

For the rest I agree totally with you Gowater. The thief is clainming ownership and the judges grant it to him.

Ciao,

Sitor

I remember back in the 1980's when some folks came

out with the GEM UI. It ran on the 6800 processors

(specifically on the Atari ST) and the Intel chips and it

looked just like the interface for the Baby Mac....... but

in color.

Apple sued 'em and put 'em out of business.

And Apple had stolen then entire Lisa and Baby Mac

interface from Xerox PARC..................

That didn't stop 'em. They won anyway.

There ain't no justice.

Linux rocks!

Banjo

(_)=='=~

In Belgium there are two peoples: the Flemish that speak dutch and the Walloons that speak french. So two dutch speaking peoples but in two very distinct countries.

For the rest I agree totally with you Gowater. The thief is clainming ownership and the judges grant it to him.

Ciao,

Sitor

May I correct that a little bit?

We have 3 groups/peoples in Belgium .. the 2 you mentionned and the German part in the east.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct Michel, I was just simplifying. For most people in the world it must already be incomprehensible enough. Such a small country but so damn complex!

Did not mean to offend the German speaking Belgians though.

Ciao,

Wim