Easy urpmi

Sherpa

can i go through and get every mirror on the list? i know that it is possible, i just use the script that it provides at first FOR EXAMPLE :

if it gives me this as my updates source,b/c i select that ftp mirror the first time:

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mirror.aca.oakland.edu/linux/mandra...dates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

but then lets say that i wanted to get an additional mirror for update i would just have to change the name "updates" to something like "updates2" right? like this:

urpmi.addmedia --update updates2 ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/o...dates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

can i do this in order to have a larger list of sources?

Yeap Sherpa, that would be nice - kind of a way to retrieve a file or set of files from multiple sources at the same time, right? But I haven't really tried it myself. Still, you can add your new media as an ftp or http one. Afterwards, if you issue:

urpmi --auto --auto-select

it will work, in the sense that it will take that other media into consideration when you use that command to update your system. ;)

That's about what I can tell you.

Still, here's another thought: Go to the graphical frontend to manage your sources ( "Menu->Configuration->Packaging->Manage sources", and add the new source as you want it. If it doesn't show you any error messages or automatically disactivate (it won't be deleted, just disactivated) your first update source, then I guess you'll be alright. ;)

Cheers

Sherpa :

Using several mirrors is a good idea because all mirrors are not always sync.

checkout mirrorwatch :

http://www.acert.pt/~fribeiro/mirrorwatch/

I use 3 mirrors at the same time (really usefull with cooker)

There's an easy way to setup several mirrors :

URPMI.SETUP

this package is in contrib. Just download it and run it has root

#urpmi urpmi.setup

#urpmi.setup

i have not tried it your way Godflesh but i did do it my way, and i have 5 diff mirrors for each thing (main, contrib, updates, plf) then hehehe (eventhough i am using mandrake 10 CE i told easy urpmi that i am using mandrake 10 OE, so i can get all the good updates)

Yeap Sherpa, that would be nice - kind of a way to retrieve a file or set of files from multiple sources at the same time, right?

not possible...you can only run one instance of urpmi, and it downloads one file at a time. for this to be possible it would require a rewrite of urpmi, and i don't think you'll convince Mandrake to do that ;) as I suspect there's a reason they do it the way they do.

while you can only run one occurance of urpmi, you can have it scan multiple sources at once. the more sources the more comprehensive your database will be. rpmdrake already does this. so does red-carpet, yum, apt-get, synaptic and so on. sources are not the problem.

the more sources the more crap on your hard drive. you only need one source for each thing (contrib, updates, etc.) unless you have problems with your regular source being full (which is a sign to just change sources).

urpmi will only download one file, from one source, at a time...having more than on source for a specific repo is just a waste...really....and it'll probably confuse urpmi.

the more sources the more crap on your hard drive. you only need one source for each thing (contrib, updates, etc.) unless you have problems with your regular source being full (which is a sign to just change sources).

urpmi will only download one file, from one source, at a time...having more than on source for a specific repo is just a waste...really....and it'll probably confuse urpmi.

that has not been my expeirence tyme. sometimes sites go down, so i find it nice to have backups. haveing more than one contrib, updates and so on can be usefull. ofcourse if the mirrors are out of sync that might cause a prob, but i have never seen this.

Yeap Sherpa, that would be nice - kind of a way to retrieve a file or set of files from multiple sources at the same time, right?

not possible...you can only run one instance of urpmi, and it downloads one file at a time. for this to be possible it would require a rewrite of urpmi, and i don't think you'll convince Mandrake to do that ;) as I suspect there's a reason they do it the way they do.

I guess that's why urpmi.setup is in contrib (thanks Godflesh) and not in the main tree... ;)