Mandrake 10 OE, 3 major problems

Ixthusdan

The short story: after a bad update (cooker), I had to reinstall Mandy 10 OE. I tried an upgrade first, but lost network, sound, and x when I used the nvidia driver. So, I did what I normally do: I reformatted / and /usr and installed. (I have /, /home, /usr and swap for Mandy).

Thankfully, lilo and fstab functions are good so I can use SuSE. I reinstalled no less than 8 times over the past four days, with no networking in Mandrake. On the same box, windows and SuSE both work fine, so this is not a hardware issue. I check my iso's, md5sum is good, reburned my disks (12X), and same results. I am including all three problems because I think they might be related, since all deal with the functions of the southbridge. (agp is a direct pipeline, but if the pci functions are a mess, then so is agp!) What am I missing? These same disks installed Mandrake 10 without any issues. I was going to download another set, but the md5sum is good on all four disks. I am really starting to get frustrated. :wall: Somebody please give me a check list or something, since I am too close to see what is wrong.

You could always try installing with the 2.4 kernel.

There's updates even to the OE kernel, so maybe you can get it running with 2.4 and then install the latest 2.6 kernel (2.6.3-13mdk as of yesterday)

Are you somehow using a Suse partition ....??? for /var ??

Whats in the fstab ??

Whats in lilo.conf ... this might be an acpi prob ?? if it effects the bridges.

I know your not stupid but you must be at the point where your missing something REALLY obvious.

Is suse working ?? If so why not take a week or something (at least get through a weekend) ... You KNOW it works ..it did before so your probably just so tired of the process your on auto pilot.

Have you tried FORCING an ESCD update ?? in bios??

maybe turn on plug 'n' play reboot then turn it back off etc.

Jeez I remember ages ago not having networking after a reinstall and you gave me some great advice... sometimes its not worth it:D

Thanks for the responses!

I am spending all of my time in SuSE. I tried assigning irq's to my nic and soundcard in the bios and it made no difference to Mandy, SuSE still works. I might do the iso thing off of the drive. Apparently the ide channels are fine. Maybe I should cool-it for a week and then go at it again. I also believe that I am missing something obvious, which is why I posted!

Thanks all!

BTW, Mandrake and SuSE have always shared swap, but each has its own file tree, including a seperate /home. Maybe later today I'll post my lilo/fstab stuff.

Maybe I should cool-it for a week and then go at it again.

Either that or just get someone to do it for you..ask the wife :D you'll have to walk her through it BUT then you will probably catch the point where you keep doing something dumb !!!

Once you have explain to someone else what to do you suddenly go DUH... (At this point resist the tempatation to bang your head on the table or kick yourself.... we've all been there)

Hows the weather over there.... summers REALLY coming out here. :D

it cant be swap really..not unless maybe.....

its configured in the wrong partition in the fstab ??

did you check it was actually activated ??

bah.... take a break ....

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

ACPI IS EVIL. DO NOT USE ACPI. ACPI IS EVIL. DO NOT USE ACPI. ACPI IS EVIL. DO NOT USE ACPI. ACPI IS EVIL. DO NOT USE ACPI. ACPI IS EVIL. DO NOT USE ACPI. ACPI IS EVIL. DO NOT USE ACPI. ACPI IS EVIL. DO NOT USE ACPI.

Well, I forgot that I had been experimenting with acpi in the bios. The smarter I am, the dumber I get! :woops: