Make a difference now or never

static

Great, now you can play games without any error messages, GL drivers, etc. It's not better or faster or more powerfull, it's just.... oh wait, yeah, it is better.

actually.....i've played the PS2, and it sucks compared to my computer. as someone mentioned before, the problem with computers is that there are soooo many different peices of hardware possible, and they change constantly. new stuff comes out, that works in new ways, and things need to be fixed so they work correctly w/the new hardware-there _is no standard_. i've never had any major issues that couldn't be fixed in a whole 10 minutes at most. PS2 graphics suck compared to computer. why? tv's can only run at 800x600 resolution, whereas my computer goes up to 1280x1024. given, i normally run games at 1024x768, but truthfully, they still look better at 800x600 then on a TV.

plus, i can do about half a million other things with my computer-that are productive-why should i spend another $200+ just to play "crap games"? screw that, give me a computer and i'm good to go......

one more thought-let's see them patch PS1 games to run on the PS2-that would make it interesting, and would be merely a _fraction_ of what happens with computers atleast _once a month_. new hardware.

do i need to get into the specific hardware configuration of the PS2 and compare it to the top-of-the-line computer configuration to show you how much a peice of crap the PS2 is? 'cuz i will... (and yes, we'll even compare it to the top-of-the-line at the time the PS2 came out)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigJack

Nobody ever said the PS2 was BETTER then a computer, SoulSe was merely pointing out that it was a hassle-free gaming solution.

i've played the PS2, and it sucks compared to my computer

If it sucked, it wouldn't be the biggest selling console in the World. Obviously there are people who don't think it sucks.

one more thought-let's see them patch PS1 games to run on the PS2-that would make it interesting

PS1 games DO run on a PS2, out of the box. Maybe this varies from country to country, but not according to my friends at Sony. Check the facts before posting misleading information.

A new computer is technically superior but costs a hell of a lot more. I personally like cutting costs by playing games on a console and using my computer for all the other stuff (it's amazing how much less a computer can cost you if you don't play games on it).

I am also an old-school linux user and understand that the OS was never designed with gamers in mind. The times have changed, but you have to understand that things do not happen overnight (specially not in the Open Source World).

This forum was recommended to me yesterday and I just had to post. It worries me to see the division that is taking place within the Linux community. Look at these silly little fights taking place here. I've spent a lot of time chatting to SoulSe and Cooper on linuxquestions and elsewhere. Don't chase away people who have something real to offer.

Well, now that I know y'all are here, I'll be back.

Up Tux.

Look, I didn't mean to be an asshole, and I'm sorry. If SoulSe isn't gonna come back, then I've successfully shown that I should just keep my mouth shut. I don't need to be here anyhow. I can leave (again). Someone tell him to come back, and I can leave if that's what he wants, or I can just shut up. Whatever.

In the meantime, I'm moving on with my life. I'll still support the companies who port the games, but I'm fully expecting them to go nowhere. I mean, even for UT2003, the percentage of registered users that are running on Linux are only 0.69%, compared to 40% of servers. That's pretty piss-poor.

Well anyhow, I'm prepared. I have a Playstation now.

Okay, I better clarify that last post, since people have been giving me comments like "whatever you gay" (yes, that's the crappy grammar they used) and "i should kick your f**king ass" as well as "you lil f**kign cry baby" and my favorite "your a f**king idiot for talking so much about how great it is and giving up on it like that".

Well, what I meant by my last post was simply this:

1) I'm sorry to SoulSe for acting like an ass.

2) I will still buy Linux games.

3) But I also bought a Playstation.

4) I don't think we'll get that many ports when we make up less than 1% of the gamers that register their games.

Of course, I used slightly different terms than that, in order to warrant a response like I outlined above.

Sorry to all, hope that clarifies it.

Okay people... we may all get a bit hot under the collar sometimes becuase of the different positions we take, but after is all is said and done we should not try to take things to personally. Difficult if we al have to be too careful before write what we think. This is a Linux forum after all.

"But I also bought a Playstation."

Well, I still use a Windows partition to play games... I wonder what people will think about that :)

Okay people... lets cool it.

Well, I still use a Windows partition to play games... I wonder what people will think about that :)

You use Windows as opposed to WineX? Wow. What a concept! Using the right tool for the job. :roll:

Ok. I have been getting a hell of a lot of email from some of you recently and I want to forget everything that has happened on this thread.

DOlson, there are very few people left in the World who are big enough to apologise. I accept your apology and would also like to ask you to forgive me for my heated posts.

I never expected anyone to actually buy a Playstation (I personally do NOT own one, not a PS2 anyway, I have an old PS1)! I was just trying to be funny - 1 and 2 - trying to point out that if you are really battling to get games to run on your computer, then there are other solutions that will save you time. If, on the other hand, you are committed to Linux gaming, like myself and DOlson, then good for you.

DOlson, the statistics for UT2003 are so low because no one registered, or, at least, that is my opinion. I think that if it were possible to get exact statistics (inlcuding people who pirated the game) you would find that surprisingly many people are running it inder Linux. Especially after Gentoo released their UT2003 disc (which boots straight into UT).

Well, whatever the rest of you decide to do is cool. I personally will stick with the fight until we get proper support. I am sorry that at times I got angry and blew off, but it is only because I feel strongly about the future of Linux gaming, don't we all?

I have realised now that DOlson also feels strongly, otherwise we would not have fought in the first place.

So lets put this all behind us and get on with it. Oh, and if I get hold of the little lamers who sent those messages to DOlson, I will personally hunt them down and humiliate them in the most extreme way I can think of. This is one Linux gamer you do not want to **** with and if you **** with people who fight for the cause (like DOlson), even if I don't always agree with them, you **** with me.

Let's get back to business, hell knows - we've got enough work to do. :twisted:

BTW: My main concern with games these days is the playability. Everyone yanks on about the graphics, the sound, bullshit. What ever happened to good old playability? I spent more time playing games like tetris on the Gameboy and Super Mario Brothers on my NES and even Pacman and Monty on my computer then I have spent with any other game (including Quake 3). Why? Because, while they do not have the graphics, sound, blah blah blah... they were fun! Game developers need to get back to basics.

And so I don't care what resolutions a computer can handle, how good UT2003 looks on the new Radeon and all that crap. Those things do not matter to me. The Playstation still kicks the crap out of most Computer games due to one little factor - playability. Try Crash Bandicoot (any of them) and see what I mean.

So when I said "crap games." I meant games that while looking good, running fast and having good looking blood or whatever-the-****, still made me bored to death after the first week of playing them. Isn't it sad that some of these losers spend 2 years on a game that doesn't even match up to Tetris on a 8-bit Gameboy?

Movies are movies and games are games, bring back the "fun" and people will stop watching your games and actually start playing them.

SoulSe, if you want good games, then that is what LGP is about - read some reviews, try the demos when they release - you'll see how smart they really are. Instead of just pumping out the expensive games, they'll put out games they can make a profit on. These games have to pass their tests - if they don't like a game enough, they won't port it. For example, they were going to publish Tzar, which was to be ported by Hyperion (IIRC), but gamers said no. I think that was a mistake, since it would have given us yet another game to buy, and it doesn't look too bad. Yet, I still voted no... At the time, I didn't understand LGP's strategy nor other things, like turning down a port could cost them the relationship with that company, and therefore no more port contracts from them. If LGP is publishing a game, the prices *should* be lower (hopefully) than the Loki games still are, and therefore more sales for them, more games for me. LGP was looking at a game by Dreamcatcher Interactive, and they decided against it because of bad AI and possibly other issues. So they aren't just porting whatever they want, but they are testing the games themselves to assure a certain level of quality. If you haven't played Majesty (I hadn't until the beta), then you should try the demo at least. Even though, as a beta tester, I can assure you that the full game has a much better feel, atmosphere, and playability to it, as it's much more polished and has more features and so forth. The demo certainly doesn't do the full game any justice, but it's better than not having tried it at all. The game should be getting out of beta soon, as we've found mostly all the bugs I'm sure, and let me tell you, we're nitpicking because they did a great job on it in the first round. I love Majesty. It reminds me of when I used to play Lords of the Realm 2, and yet also reminds me of playing Age of Empires. This is a very welcomed addition to the Linux game library, and a nice change from the constant bombardment of FPS games. Don't get me wrong, I like FPS games, but it's great to have variety. Also, LGP has told me that they don't plan to port many FPS games, if any. And that's a good idea, at least at the start. If an FPS game is good, it'll probably be ported in-house (ie: UT2003, Doom 3), and if it's not so good, then at least LGP isn't wasting their time.

Anyhow, that's my opinion.

BTW: My main concern with games these days is the playability. Everyone yanks on about the graphics, the sound, bullshit. What ever happened to good old playability? I spent more time playing games like tetris on the Gameboy and Super Mario Brothers on my NES and even Pacman and Monty on my computer then I have spent with any other game (including Quake 3). Why? Because, while they do not have the graphics, sound, blah blah blah... they were fun! Game developers need to get back to basics.

And so I don't care what resolutions a computer can handle, how good UT2003 looks on the new Radeon and all that crap. Those things do not matter to me. The Playstation still kicks the crap out of most Computer games due to one little factor - playability. Try Crash Bandicoot (any of them) and see what I mean.

i agree that games need a certain level of playability. i dunno if you read my posts, but i was simply comparing the ability of the two types of systems (console and PC)-why one works all the time and the other has issues-not considering the games.

true-quake gets boring, i never was much for FPS games, they get too repetitive. I love RPGs and space flight combat games with good story lines to go with them. Freespace and Freespace 2 ruled. I still play them, even though the graphics are pretty dated by now, they are what i consider to be the best space flight combat games i've ever played. for some reason i didn't like the star wars series of games...dunno why, just not my thing. now i'm into Earth and Beyond which is only on Windows-I wish someone would release a good space related MMORPG for Linux (i've seen a few that are out there-they aren't very extensive-if anyone knows of a good one let me know).

anyways...i agree...heated discussion or not, we all want the same thing. more games for linux. let's direct our energies towards that goal instead of fighting amongst ourselves :-)

It really depends on the individual, if FPS games are your thing then computers (read: PCs) cannot be beaten.

space flight combat games with good story lines to go with them. Freespace and Freespace 2 ruled. I still play them, even though the graphics are pretty dated by now, they are what i consider to be the best space flight combat games i've ever played.

Remember the Wing Commander series? I think Wing Commander 2 was my favourite space sim of all time. It would be cool to see a port... or even a clone for Linux. I'm sure it is old enough to qualify for cloning?

My problem these days is time, so I like games I can get into, play with for a few minutes and then leave. RPGs and Strategies just frustrate me, not because I don't like them, but simply because I don't have the time to stay with a campaign. I'll be checking out Majesty anyway.

I also recently discovered Egoboo. The latest release still needs a lot of work (no network play yet :( ) but it is a great little game. http://egoboo.sourceforge.net

i think i have wing commander 2 somewhere...hiding...or is that the prophecy one? i don't remember...have to look around.

strategies frustrate me, also. RPGs really depend on the game-but anything dealing w/space has always struck my interest (Earth & Beyond is a great game for me, combines space flight and RPG style play. tho i miss the dogfight type of combat of freespace.)

Majesty? that rings a bell but I don't quite remember it...

i'm going to check out DOlson's linux games page sometime in the near future-a lot of those games look interesting.

1) Majesty rocks.

2) Egoboo has netplay! At least the last time I played it, it did... but that was well over a year ago, and that was in Windows...

I'm pretty sure I was playing 2.22, or 2.21 at the time.

Maybe it only has LAN play? I was playing it over a LAN, and I wasn't using the Linux version. I do remember that it was a little bit of a pain to get working though.