Make a difference now or never

static

Alright people, here's our chance.

I've posted similar threads, but this time I mean business. If we want issues like the wineX problem resolved for the better, WE HAVE TO BUY NATIVE LINUX GAMES. No ripping them. Doom 3, neverwinter nights, and so on are due out soon, and this is the linux community's chance to truly make a difference. We must show these companies who look to award winning, linux supporting game developers like Bioware and id Software that we, as a whole, do buy games, do use linux, and do represent a notable share of the market for software (games more specifically in this case). Numbers don't lie, they say, so let's show them the truth. We exist in greater numbers than they expect, and we ARE willing to pay for software. We are NOT the pirates our adversaries have attepted to make us look like.

So how can you help? Buy Doom 3 for Linux when it is released. Buy Neverwinter Nights for Linux when it is released. If you can't afford them, ask for them for your birthday, or the gift exchange holiday of choice for your religion/area of the world. Buy them for others as gifts. Write polite, constructive letters to game and other software companies explaining a truthful number of people you know personally who will buy the linux version of ___________. It really is now or never, and between $40-$100 dollars is not too much to spend to send a powerful message to Blizzard, Transgaming, Ahead, Sonic Foundry, whoever the Grand Theft Auto people are nowadays, etc...

Remember - games are what push hardware development, too. Nothing else on a considerable scale affects the hardware industry like games (things like video editing are PALE in comparison when we're talking revenue for an industry as a whole).

Get involved, put your money where your mouth is, and let's show the world we too mean business. Sitting around telling each other how bad we want native linux games isn't getting the message to the people who need to hear it. Money talks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JeremyG

I agree with static on this point. If we, as Linux users, and mainly, M$ haters, want Linux to continue to come out with newer versions of software, to create programs and drivers and games and all that stuff specifically for Linux, we need to show them that YES! we do want them to do this. That YES! we are using there software. That YES! There are thousands (perhaps millions) of people that want/need theses companies to develop the programs that we Linux users need. The price is small to show these companies that we appreciate the time that they are putting out to create these programs and such just for us, especially when compared to software that M$ users have to pay for (we all know the prices for that crap...). I think that if we all did our part, and even just bought one of these games when they came out, instead of just ripping them, a couple years down the road, everything will be able to be run under Linux, without some windows to linux conversion tool. That's my dream anyways. :D

I agree.

The problem comes in with companies like id, they don't sell "Linux" Games, they just sell games. So if you want to run it under Linux, you download binaries. So how will they know who is running their games on Linux and who is using M$? They just know that X amount of people bought Quake3, they have no clue who of those people were 'nix users (unless you bought the loki version, which apparently didn't do too well).

Of course, with games like NWN and Doom3 - Bring it On!!!!

I would pay $$$ maybe $$$$ for GTA3 or GTA-ViceCity for Linux !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOttS

I would pay $$$$ for any "in-car" racing game

GTA

grand Turismo

World Rally

V8 Supercars

Formula 1

etc etc etc

I agree. 

The problem comes in with companies like id, they don't sell "Linux" Games, they just sell games. So if you want to run it under Linux, you download binaries. So how will they know who is running their games on Linux and who is using M$? They just know that X amount of people bought Quake3, they have no clue who of those people were 'nix users (unless you bought the loki version, which apparently didn't do too well).

Of course, with games like NWN and Doom3 - Bring it On!!!!

You need to email them and say that you bought the game to use on linux & thanks for making the port availible.

You *could* do something crazy, like, oh I dont know, order the game online from a Linux vendor... No, that's just a crazy idea...

I'd suggest http://www.tuxgames.com/?referrer=dolson

Email is also a good idea. Be polite, and to the point.

On top of that, BUY THE GAMES THAT ARE OUT. If we are too picky about what we buy, we won't get many ports... The AAA titles will come in the future, we just need patience and proof that we are spending our money.

That's a great idea! - I'll buy games online and pay in dollars! So that if they don't get lost in the post (which they will), they'll take 2 - 3 months to get here! Hey, I can even pay in dollars, which, plus the postage = three times the price it would cost in a shop!

Oh, but it gets better, I should just buy any game cus it is written for linux, whether I like it or not. Luckily University students have enough money to buy tons of games that they will never play instead of beer.

You're right, what the heck was I thinking? :wink:

I kinda agree here with SoulSe,... why should I support Linux gaming that I don't want??? What I want is brand name titles from major producers with Linux executables on the same CDs...

I can't get that from supporting 3rd party game development houses and companies that leach off of the Linux community with claims that sales from them count as Linux sales (when companies may or may not even track that kind of data, especially when it comes from a retailer).

I don't think WineX is a problem, at least at this stage of Linux growth. People will realize that Linux is a capable game platform by seeing that you can even get Windoze games to run. Then they will here about how superior native Linux executables are over "emulated" gaming. Eventually there will be a critical mass enough to warrant companies to spend the few weeks extra and development tool dollars in order to have cross-platform capability. Until then, WineX is a perfect solution.

Likewise, spending money that I don't want to or can't spend on something I don't want is not going to convince companies that I want Linux games. It's also not going to encourage them to produce the types of titles and generes that I want. I particularly want space combat sims, strategy and tactical games. I don't get them from current Linux game companies. What I get are cheapie arcarde clones, shooters and RPGs. I get land-based war games like Alpha Centuri and Civilization Call to Power when I want StarFleet Command and Homeworld. I get Heavy Metal FAKK 2 when I want Jedi Knight 2. I get Tux Racer when I want Star Wars Pod Racing. I get Zionist in Space when I want X-Wing Alliance. I get Backgammon when I want Star Trek: Armada 2.

So you think they'll make other games if the ones that do support linux don't sell? That's not the case. Anyone who makes a game believes in it - otherwise they wouldn't have made it. The Star Trek Armada 2 guys don't care if you think a FPS sucks - if "Linux games" don't sell, linux games don't sell. So they won't bother porting their engine. Besides, I'm not trying to get people to buy games they don't want, I'm trying to get linux users to buy games they do want instead of pirating, which I might do massive amounts of in windows.

As for wineX, it's handy, I'll give you that; but it gives the wrong impression - why care about linux support at all as a company? At some future point people are going to forget how to program well in favour of programming easy. I would equally disagree with linux only games that just happened to run on a linux emulator for windows, except I don't care if windows succeeds for anything, really. I'm looking forward to the installation procedure [for anything] simplifying in linux. That'll really move us along.

Basically the point of my writing this is I see M$ as the theif, not linux users. Let's try to further that impression.

I am SO very tired of this topic. Here are my final thoughts:

WineX sucks ass. It is stupid, but if people are sitting with old windoze games they bought and still want to play, they have a right to. Who cares?

Buying crap games will encourage people to make more crap games, whether they are for Linux or not. Send email, protest, demonstrate, burn shit - get their attention. Don't just buy a game because it's written for Linux. So what? Does that make it a good game? What does that say about Linux users - we'll just buy stupid crap until one day people decide to make good stuff?

And that is all. If you REALLY want to play a variety of games, go buy a Playstation. Otherwise play Quake :twisted: and stop complaining.

And please read other people's posts with your tounge in yer cheak. I think I pissed off DOlsen again by posting what I thought was a humourous comment. touchy.

Once again, I agree,...

And I actually DID buy a Playstation (PS2). Consoles have one strong advantage over PC games, regardless of platform. They have to work the first time right out of the box with no patches...

PC game coders have gotten lazy with the advent of easy patching via the internet.

Once again, I agree,...

And I actually DID buy a Playstation (PS2). Consoles have one strong advantage over PC games, regardless of platform. They have to work the first time right out of the box with no patches...

PC game coders have gotten lazy with the advent of easy patching via the internet.

It's a little bit that and a lot more to do with the fact that consple coders only work with one system, all PS2's are basically the same. Pc's on the other hand have many many many different configurations, developers just cant test every possible hardware setup.

Still it's good to have a bitch at someone now and again heh :D