Best mail server?

Guest eric

Hello,

I am completely new to Linux and its enviroment. I was wondering if any could recommend the best mail server to use on mandrake. I have tried messing with postfix but am not sure if that is the best or not. When I say best I mean a combination of easy to use but with some good features.

Thanks,

Eric

What do you intend on using the mail server for and exactly what are you looking for?

Are you only looking to use it for a single user sending email from your personal computer or are you setting up an office server and looking for enterprise level email support?

Are you looking solely for SMTP support or do you need POP and IMAP support as well?

Check this one out. Linux Format recently did a head-to-head of a series of smtp mail programs and this was the winner.

Exim Internet Mailer - http://www.exim.org/

I really don't know what I am looking for since I have never done this before. I am planning on having only a few users. At most I might have 25, but in reality more like 3. Its really for personal use and does not need to be fancy.

I am assuming I will need pop and imap support as well in order to have the system running correctly.

If I am incorrect, please let me know. again, this is all new to me (both Linux and a mail server).

thanks

I like Qmail most it's the easiest to install & I think the most secure. With Mandrakes I think there's still Sendmail almost ready & it's easy to configure with linuxconf & graphix if you don,t know a lot  of mail & servers & console. But Sendmail is difficult to conf on console.

Postfix is the mandrake default.

It's really good, much easier than sendmail IMO.