no dial tone

croaker1

two nights ago electricty went out and I restarted my computer next day and try and log on I got a no dial tone message. I check to see if I had dial tone by hooking my phone to the second jack in my modem and I had dial tone for a couple of seconds but the phone line seems to stay open when I hang up the phone. I can get dial tone back if I unplug the phone line from modem for a few seconds and hooked back up I get dial tone again.

I then check to see if kpp can query the modem and it could with out a problem. could the electric outage have cause the modem hardware to stay switch on even though nothing else is on? I am useing a smartlink modem smartpci561. I also switch to windows thinking it might have been a software problem and windows software had the same problem. is there a solution to this problem or should I just pull the pci winmodem from my old computer to fix this problem? :help:

You can be thankful it was only a modem :cheesy: Power outages have been know to kill a lot more. But yes, I agreee with Leo, especially since it does same with windows.

You couldn't be more right.

I do a lot of computer repair on the side, and a previous customer called me after a particularly nasty thunderstorm to ask if I could fix her computer, which no longer responded to the power button.

As it turns out, the power supply in her computer was dead, along with her big screan TV, Fax machine and digital cable box. Of course, none were surge protected.

She was lucky, the TV was reparable for only $250.00, the power supply to her pc only cost me $10.00 and I only charged her $55.00 and I showed her how to use the PC as a fax. It could have been a lot worse. If her power supply had not melted, or if her pc was on when it did, she'd have bought a whole new pc, and let's not eve talk about how lucky she was that she could get the TV repaired.