Can't get Suspend to work on Toshiba P15 Laptop

I'm using Mandrake 10 with 2.6.3-7 vanilla SMP kernel. My laptop is Toshiba P15-S420. I have tried many different things but I still can't get suspend/resume to work. In Windows XP it works just fine.

First, I tried acpi. I enabled acpi in the boot loader. The battery monitor works great. When I execute pmsuspend2 command, the laptop just switches to a screensaver with a password lock. The hard drive and fan are still working. Also, it gives me a "/bin/echo: write error: Operation not permitted".

Next, I turned off acpi and enabled apm. Now the battery monitor always shows "plugged in, no battery". However when I execute a suspend command the laptop successfully goes into suspend mode, completely shuts off and has the power button blinking yellow. When I push the power button it just boots normally, no resume.

Are there any other things I can try to get this to work? I heard about software suspend (swsusp) but I don't know how to use it, there is no readme that tell me which commands to use. I also tried recompiling the kernel and turning on all power management options but that didn't have any effect.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

They way you're thinking of suspend and the way Linux (Mandrake in particular, but I believe it's the same for all distros) handles suspend are 2 different things.

First off, the M$ way of closing the lid -> suspend, opening the lid -> instant power-on just isn't how it works.

With pmsuspend2 linked to the lid "button", it will execute a suspend-to-disk function. Suspending all data to your swap partition and powering off. Turning the power back on, will have you up and running (theoretically) within a matter of seconds. A fraction of the time that it takes for a normal boot.

It would be nice to have the suspend function work like it does in Windows, but for now it doesn't.

Is there any other way I can save battery power? On Windows XP this laptop runs for about 2 hours and 15 minutes, while on Linux it's about 1 hour, even if no applications are launched. This barely gets me through a class in college. I just want to be able to put my laptop is lower power mode (like standby) when I am not using it.

I'm not really faimiliar with this subject, but I'll give it a shot.

If it's an athlon-mobile, there is a kernel-module foir it to enable the powerXXX technology of it ... I suppose that couldhelp you, but I haven't used it myself.

Doesn't acpi have options for this? like slowing down the cpu..stopping the harddisk, ...

Reducing processor consumption is maybe what the above module does, not sure though. I suppose this isn't part of acpi.

Edited by Michel

I just followed those instructions and here is what I got:

cat info

processor id: 0

acpi id: 0

bus mastering control: yes

power management: no

throttling control: no

limit interface: no

It seems that ACPI doesn't support my processor (Pentium 4). Basically the only power management function that works is the battery monitor.

If you're comfortable at compiling your own kernel, the 2.6.6 kernel (in cooker) has a laptop mode that can be enabled.  That should help with your battery life.

I tried compiling newer kernels but it doesn't work for my configuration, NVIDIA drivers don't compile, CD burner drivers dissapear and other strange stuff starts happening.

HELP!!!!! I just updated to the new 2.6.3-13 kernel and pmsuspend2 performed suspend to disk perfectly! However when I turned on the laptop and booted the same kernel it started loading the image from swap partition, gave me an error and hanged. Now I can't boot either of my kernels, not even failsafe. I'm currently using LILO, so I can't just press 'e' and edit something.

What should I do? I can't use Linux right now!

OK, that worked but now I have bigger problem.

I tested acpi thoroughly, even in text mode. Suspend and hibernate don't work properly. The laptop suspends fine but when I press the power button the screen won't turn on so I have to take out the battery to restart. The laptop also hibernates fine but when I push the power button it boots the default kernel, starts loading memory image from swap partition and then hangs on "Settling down DMIs", it displays something like "double fault at rtd..." I can still boot linux by passing noresume to boot options.

I decided to install apm hoping that would solve my problems. Installed the apmd rpm from CD and added apm=on acpi=off to kernel boot options. Restarted the laptop and it got stuck during "enabling pcmcia". Restarted again, same thing. I changed the boot options to acpi=on apm=off, the kernel booted fine, passed "enabling pcmcia" and right when it goes into X server the screen goes blank and the system hangs.

What should I do now? Reinstall from scratch? I already did that 5 times trying to get Mandrake working properly on my laptop, still no luck.

Thanks in advance to everyone who is helping me to solve this problem.

When booting press Escape (when lilo appears) and then write noresume.

When inside kde or gnome or whatever you must go to your tool partition, you can go through the command harddrake2, then erase your swap partition and create another and reboot.

There you are.

I also have a Toshiba laptop (with MDK9.2PP and MDK10.0 OE PP.)

Even after enabling ACPI and the Toshiba Utilities, suspend and hibernate do not work.

If I remember correctly, these functions will not work yet in Linux for Toshiba (and possibly other brands) laptops.

I hope that members that are more technical and knowledgeable than I can either confirm this or correct me on this.

Richard L>

Thanks for the info. I don't know what happened but APM messed up my Mandrake installation completely. It wouldn't let me login as a regular user, I had to login as root. All my devices weren't working, like ethernet and wireless. I had to reinstall from scratch. I will just wait and see when Toshiba laptops are going to be supported in Linux.