FC 2

I was hoping Qchem's Fedora Core 2 - My first impressions would continue a little longer...

but anyway, I was wondering what peoples' opinions of FC 2 are, after installing/using it for a while ?

I am currently using FC 1 as a "learning" distro. after I get some experience, I'd like to move to FC 2, if I don't decide to buy one of the biggies like mdk or suse.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, from what little experience I have, so far RH 9 was my favorite. I am using FC 1 now because it happened to come with a linux book I bought to learn the basics with.

I like FC 1 so far.

By "one of biggies" I guess I meant because suse and mandrake are distros you have to pay for. Looks like I was wrong about mandrake, you can d/l it free.

In the past, I have always paid for my mdk distros (8.1 and 9.0) to support the company. I haven't followed mandrake much since 9.0, and I thought that due to their financial troubles they had started requiring Official releases to be paid for. If I do decide to go with mdk 10 official, I will buy it to support the company.

However, if FC 2 is a great distro, I'd like to use that. I'll look for FC 2 comments on this board before I spend time d/l it.

Guest lafalot

I'm using FC2 as my primary OS right now (with WinXP Pro, and Mandrake10 once I figure out my GRUB problems). I started linux on FC1, so it's pretty familar to me so far, and I really enjoy it, especially the seemingly faster kernel and GNOME's spatial nautilus. go for the upgrade, I think it is worth it.

It was out May 18th.

My opinions on FC2:

It really depends on you and what you want in a distro. I tried it, and don't like it for my use. It does have some little problems I don't like. The installer is not as good as mandrakes.

In the next release or two, it will most likely be a real jam up distro.

FC2 anaconda does not setup my USB pen drive, list all available pkgs on CDs, or automagically setup fat32 drives. I know all this can be done manually, but. Also its partitioning is funny. I do custom installs always. I know that I could have used my existing partitions, but I wanted to change them. In doing so, I like to put partitions in a particular order. But it would change things around in a order I did not like. Mandrakes install does not change the order I specify.

I also don't like su to root and not having root programs unless you su-.

Which does bring up a good question. Why is that? Example, in mandrake I open a console say in rxvt. As should, its default directory is your home. Ok, now I su to root and have access to hparm. In FC2 you have to su- to be able to run hdparm. Why?

I would have figured in this respect that all distros would be the same. Can it be changed?

its because hdparm (in FC) is in /sbin - so you could run it as

/sbin/hdparm

When you su to root (without a -), you keep your mortals environment variables which does not have /sbin in its path. If you su -, you get the root users environment variables which does have /sbin in its path. So, for su the programs are still available, you just have to give their absolute path. You could add /sbin to your mortals path if you wished - but thats up to you...

The reason why anaconda does not give you a full list of packages is because thats how its been designed - it should be easier for most users to get the packages they want with the current comps.xml package lists.

I personally feel anaconda in FC2 is set up very well for average joe user and it looks very professional - something which Mandrake doesn't (YET) match.

I was a big fan of FC1, but I was not able to install FC2 as it kept hanging on me after selecting the language and installation method... and I did try all of them. I had no problems with FC1 before. So I'm back to Mandrake (which I was using before FC1).

I agree FC looks way more professional than Mandrake and is the most polished and consistent desktop out-of-the-box I have ever used. It has a great user community as well. I do miss that.

Mandrake is pretty good too though, and actually feels faster than FC. I was using Gnome with FC1 and now I'm using KDE with Mandrake though.

KDE is pretty good as a desktop, but its applications are a bit "brain-dead" in my opinion. Though I miss gnome's look-and-feel, I can still use all "gnome/gtk" applications (evolution, gaim, gimp, etc) so that's ok, I can get the best of both worlds. Mandrake is a great distro as well.

I personally feel anaconda in FC2 is set up very well for average joe user and it looks very professional - something which Mandrake doesn't (YET) match

that's me... the average joe user

Iagree that RH / FC look more professional than, say, mdk. I know its the guts of the OS, not the prettiness of the distro, that does the work, but nice looking distros are just... uh... nicer looking...

From what little I used mdk (8.1 & 9.0) I was a little turned off by the rougher look of it.

I went from mdk 8.1, to mdk 9.0, then to RH 9, and now to FC 1. I'd like to just stick to one distro to learn everything on, and then maybe check out some others after I know what I'm doing. I think I'll use FC 2 to learn on.