Overcharged for Mandrake Linux Club

barneyt

I hope a mod will read this and forward it to someone at Mandrake Linux who will help me fast!

I gladly joined Mandrake Club for the regular price of $66 US dollars. Yesterday I used my debit card (same one I used for the Mandrake Club transaction) and it wouldn't take. I went to the ATM machine today and it stated that I only had $50 in my account! Mandrake had taken out $6,600!

I could not believe my eyes! I phoned the bank and now they are investigating. I wanted to call for support, but there is no US phone number (or any other number for that matter) on the Mandrake website. I sent three different e-mails and yest to hear what they are doing. In the meantime I have no funds to pay bills.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL!

This really upsets me as I was trying to support Mandrake.

Barney

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest anon

MandrakeSoft

Head Office

MandrakeSoft S.A.

43, rue d'Aboukir

75002 Paris - France

+33 (0) 1 40 41 00 41

#######################

USA

11875 Pigeon Pass Road, D-1 #117

Moreno Valley, CA 92557

MandrakeStore issues: +1 909 341-8794>>>>>>>>>>>> :deal:

This notice appears on the Mandrake Club home page:

Paris, 14th of May 2004,

We have been informed that some of our customers who paid through visa card in north America at the beginning of the month are encountering problems with their visa bill.

Every complaint will be answered. Please send email with all the relevant information to :

sc.uscan.misc@mandrakestore.com

In the meanwhile we have decided to execute all our payment through our paypal platform. You do not need a paypal account to use this platefom, you simply need a credit card (Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American express).

Mandrakesoft Team.

This is the text of an email sent to someone on the Mandrake Club forum:

questions and fresh informations :

We know that the problem is not within our own operation, it seems to be

happen between the VISA system and the customer bank. Unfortunately all the

banks are closed today and tomorrow.

Please send email to : sc.uscan.misc@mandrakestore.com

with all the relevant information :

- the adress of your bank and phone number

- your phone number :

- the order number (eg : 123456-USA)

- Bill date :

- Your credit card (VISA, Amex, Mastercard...)

- Amount of the order (eg : $60) :

- Over billed amount (eg : $6000) :

We consider this as a very serious issue, since we became aware of the

problem we are working to solve it.

Shawn, we are really sorry...

Regards.

Mandrakesoft Team. 

Ya know........ I fully support Mandrake and think that it is the best thing since sliced bread. I use it all of the time. But, the fact that $6,600 was removed after I authorized $66 is quite unnerving. This is especially bad since my family is expecting a new baby next month and I have no money at this point................ :help:

Barney

Guest anon

Your going to have to wait till monday morning i'm afraid. If you get no answer then call the head office in France. Remember the time zone though, they are at least 5 hours ahead of you if you live in the USA.

Have you tried calling Visa yet? More than likely you'll have to attack this from both ends of the problem to get prompt service.

And remember. If someone doesn't have the answer for you just ask to talk to their supervisor. Everyone has a supervisor or boss. I know someone who didn't get prompt service from a local Sears store and inside of one hour was talking to someone in the Sears Tower. Within 30 minutes of that he had the service he wanted. Late on a friday.

I know something like this can be upsetting but remember. Be polite and don't accept the answer, My supervisor is busy. Tell them you'll wait on the line but NOT on hold. They always tend to start calling out for them real fast, and you can hear them do it also. Its funny sometimes.

Thanks Pzatch,

I want to thank everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

A suprise to me was the letter copied above from Mandrake. I got the exact same e-mail letter with only the $ amount and name changed (mine switched for his). Oh Brother!

Barney

I think I read that it's a bank error (that is the Bank that Mandrakesoft is using) instead of Mandrakesoft's own error. It's the stupid , (comma) and . (dot) to denote thousands thing.. Having used both schemes, I kinda feel for Mandrakesoft and their customers for getting the pain of this confusing scheme.

Oh, just a remark since no-one else pointed this out so far:

this board is independent from Mandrakesoft S.A. - all people here just use or at some point used Mandrake and discuss linux stuff here.

Let us know when and how your problem is fixed.

Whoa... and I thought I was having a bad Monday!

Good luck barneyt! That's a HELL of a lot of money to suddenly have dissapear.

DragonMage made an important point about it not being Mandrake's fault though. Still, it is their customers being screwed and that means they need to go out of their way on this one.

I wonder how often this has happened with Internet shopping?

Hello,

I think you should really complain with the organisation that has handed you your credit card.

The credit cards that I have had so far all work in the way that transactions are to be proved by the vendor, meaning that if the customer does not agree with a transaction, the vendor does need to proof that the customer agreed with the amount AND the customer did receive the goods. If the vendor cannot proof this, your bank needs to give you back the money and it is up to them to sort it out with the vendor (vendor needs to pay back bank basically).

I had a problem a couple of years ago with a hotel billing me for some nights stay (some 1 500 €s) when I really was on another continent at that moment. It worked out for me. Got my money back.

I'm sure it will be sorted out for you as well.

Good luck in any case,

Ciao,

Sitor