Getting and Installing MS Fonts???

lawsonrc

Where do I go to get the free MS Fonts?

I don't remember if Mandrake has a font installer or not. I didn't find it in the KDE Control Center.

Well, I just now looked in Mandrake-10-Official's MCC >System > Fonts. I see a button for "Import". If I download the MS Fonts, will they be an RPM or a Tar?

If an RPM and I right click to use the Software Installer (or double click the icon), how do I import them into MCC>System>Fonts?

If they are a tar, do I untar it, then go to MCC>System>Fonts and import them from the extracted tar directory?

In advance, thanks to all.

Thanks for the link, bvc. I did a search on this site, but couldn't come up with anything (as usual). My search was MS Fonts, but the search couldn't come up with this. I wish search was more user friendly here.

Any I just clicked on the rpm and they installed themselves just fine. I then opened up oowriter and checked: they were all there!!

I started to import all my fonts from Windows, but it was too tedious. In MDK you have to do each one at a time (in other distros I've used, it takes just seconds), so I figured all I'd need were the socalled "free" ones.

Thanks again.

Richard L.

I started to import all my fonts from Windows, but it was too tedious. In MDK you have to do each one at a time

hmmmm.................. i never had to do one font at a time. what method were you using? you can do them all in one fell swoop using MCC->system->drakfont.

check out This Thread & look for my post on how to install all the Windows fonts, with or without a Windows partition.

Chris

i never had to do one font at a time. what method were you using? you can do them all in one fell swoop using MCC->system->drakfont.

Chris

Hi Chris,

That is exactly what I did (MCC->system->drakfont). After clicking on Import Fonts > Add I get a new window called File Selection.

Here I navigated to /mnt/win_c/WINDOWS/Fonts and the Files on the right side of this window are all my fonts in WinXP.

In order to add them, it can only be done by adding each font individually as I can see. I tried to highlight all of them using several methods, and none of them worked: holding the left mouse button and dragging; clicking to the left of the first font>Shift key>clicking at the end of the last font; and CTRL +A....none worked. There is no button that says "Add all".

Can you give me steps on how to add them in one fell swoop, please?

Thanks,

Richard L.

since i don't have a Windows partition any more, it's been a while since i did it. but, from memory, all you need to do is click the "get windows fonts" button->check what apps you want to be able to use them (ghostscript, staroffice, abiword, generic printers)->click "ok" & drakfont will automatically search for any /mnt/win* partition, then load the fonts from the win*/fonts folder, again, automatically. i just did a test run on my machine & that's exactly what it did (except it told me that it couldn't find a /mnt/win* directory............of course!). when i installed the fonts from the CD i burned, it was basically the same thing............i just pointed it to the folder on the CD & it found all & automatically loaded them. check to see if there's an "add all" or "select all" option. i'm almost positive one of those options is there & needs to be selected to do the job for all fonts.

Chris

The last time I installed windows fonts, back in mandrake 9.0, what I had to do after I launched the font installer.

And to get all of them was to goto the folder they are in through the font installer, then instead of selecting the fonts in that folder, I just clicked on OK OPEN whatever it was in the dialog box, and then it added all the fonts in that folder to the main font installer, from there I had to click on install fonts. It did take a few minutes to install all of the fonts.

It wasent documented very well back then and I expect that it isn't documented very well today. I havent tried to install microsoft fonts in mandrake 10.0 though.

hmmm..........

no, actually, i don't use 10.0. i'm still in 9.2 land until the 10.0 official public final rcX comes out. :P

so, you may well be correct & for some unknown reason they removed the "get Windows fonts" & "add all fonts" options in drakfont for 10.0. if they did, that's just plain dumb (IMHO) unless it's one of those trademark/patent issues. i dunno....... have you tried just hilighting all the fonts so they're all selected then installing them? that's the only thing i can think of in lieu of a better idea.

:juggle:

Chris

Hi chris_z,

I took a nap this afternoon and woke up with a couple of thoughts:

SOLUTION 1--

On my desktop I made a directory under /mnt for Windows called win_c last week when I installed MDK10.

In MDK10, I went either into K Control Center or MCC (forget which...I did it two days ago) to Login Manager and added ROOT to the login menu.

I booted up into ROOT (and of course got the EVIL RED DESKTOP warning), opened Home from the Star Menu, did a vertical split screen.

I opened up /mnt/win_c/WINDOWS/Fonts on the left, then activated the right side by clicking in it (each side will show a red light at the bottom when activated with a click). On the right side I added usr/share/fonts. I had already downloaded the MS free fonts, so I already had a directory there called

msttcorefonts.

I opened this directory. From the left side I dragged and dropped the Windows fonts that I wanted in Mandrake10.

I then closed up and logged out and relogged in as user. Checked in OOWriter by right-clicking on an empty page and all the MS fonts I had copied were there.

SOLUTION 2--

Boot into Windows and burn all the fonts you need onto a CD. They are found on Windows Explorer under and locate WINDOWS/Fonts (in XP), then boot into Mandrake and copy from the CD into /usr/share/fonts.

Maybe I should put this in the forum under TIPS OR TRICKS? I couldn't locate any thread on installing MS fonts that I could recall. although mtweidmann has a message called "get fonts" with a great link that has almost 6800+ fonts!!

BTW, if I had not downloaded the free MS fonts, would I have had to make a directory for those that I copied or could I have put them in another existing directory such as ttf > western???

Cheers,

Richard L.