SuSe 9.1 - video playing

Hi everyone,

I'm up and running with SuSe 9.1 Pro, which runs great! I got most things in place: sound, nvidia 3D drivers etc. I also got win32-codecs (for e.g. certain avi files) installed, now I can watch my Love Hina avi's again :D

BUT, there is still something wrong with DVD. Kaffeïne/xine always complains about not being able to play DVD's. I searched for libdvdcss on http://packman.links2linux.org/ , but they cannot provide it anymore. The installation seems a little daunting ... :unsure: can anyone provide some guidance on setting this up? Actually, I'm not sure if it is DVD encryption that disables me to watch my DVD (d'Artagnan ;) ), but I have to browse manually to the 'DVD' folder, then select one of the .vob file. It works but I got no sound if I do.

I tried to install Mplayer from the same website, but it seems kind'a buggy. It stalls when I try to play anything... so I guess I'll uninstall it.

It would also be nice to get DivX5 video's to play.

Darkelve

Get:

libdvdcss2

libdvdnav

libdvdread

here:

http://packman.links2linux.org/index.php4?...ction=cat&cat=6

;-)

Not as easy as the MDK rpm's on PLF, I suppose?

The libdvdcss2 has two files which are installed into:

/usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2

/usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.7

This is on MDK - where on Suse?

:juggle:

Good luck!

Edited by anna

Can I use the Red Hat rpm found here:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss...2.8/rpm/redhat/

OR

do I use the instructions of Packman with these RPM's:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss...2.8/rpm/redhat/

OR

is neither solution any good?

Edited by Darkelve

Yes, I thought that too, since the 'error message'/warning seems to come from libxine? Anyway, when I start Kaffeine now I get 'can't init audio driver! (auto)'. And in Xine, the option 'DVD' (next to CD, VCD and VCDO) disappeared!?

This is not good!

:help:

Yes, I thought that too, since the 'error message'/warning seems to come from libxine? Anyway, when I start Kaffeine now I get 'can't init audio driver! (auto)'. And in Xine, the option 'DVD' (next to CD, VCD and VCDO) disappeared!?

This is not good!

oh, oh - I am sorry, Darkelve, my Suse-knowledge ends here. You'll have to wait for Cybrjackle, isn't he the Suse expert?

What you can try - uninstall: kaffeine, xine, all libs affected.

Reinstall: only the good libxine, the libdvdcss, kaffeine ...

Can't do any harm, huh?

Yes, I thought that too, since the 'error message'/warning seems to come from libxine? Anyway, when I start Kaffeine now I get 'can't init audio driver! (auto)'. And in Xine, the option 'DVD'  (next to CD, VCD and VCDO) disappeared!?

This is not good!

oh, oh - I am sorry, Darkelve, my Suse-knowledge ends here. You'll have to wait for Cybrjackle, isn't he the Suse expert?

What you can try - uninstall: kaffeine, xine, all libs affected.

Reinstall: only the good libxine, the libdvdcss, kaffeine ...

Can't do any harm, huh?

I did that through Yast, and that did the trick. Apperently Xine doesn't like you replacing the library :( Although it was a little confusing in the beginning. I don't understand why SuSe just don't license it. Or do like Linspire, offer it optionally to their users at a certain price. Calculate it in the price of the distro, whatever.

(By the way, Yast is great! I'll also post a review on SuSe in the days to come.)

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

So you are now able to play it all - DVD and stuff?

Why are the Suse folks not a bit more relaxed reg. the libdvdcss, I wonder. It isn't illegal or whatever in .de, in .nl, in .be - multimedia stuff has to work, period. Just my opinion.

I tried btw. the Suse Live CD 9.1 - very nice indeed.

So you are now able to play it all - DVD and stuff?

Why are the Suse folks not a bit more relaxed reg. the libdvdcss, I wonder. It isn't illegal or whatever in .de, in .nl, in .be - multimedia stuff has to work, period. Just my opinion.

I tried btw. the Suse Live CD 9.1 - very nice indeed.

No, I can't play DVDs. I reverted to the old installation/libs, and now Kaffeine works again ;)

SuSe 9.1 was a bit of a hassle to set up, but now I'm really glad I got it. Kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2.1 are AWESOME. They're a bit 'hyped' technical features, but you can see and feel how they make a difference.

I found a few small quirks in SuSe, nothing too dramatic though. My guess is they had to rush the release a bit. E.g. on my box the minimum required ram(128MB) was indicated, but the 'Recommended' was forgotten, just an empty space. Here and there you see hints the release had to be rushed for production... but like I said, nothing dramatic.

Darkelve

What is the advantage over MDL 10.0? 10.0 OE is very good, and it also has kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2. I don't know any bugs in 10.0 OE, and you don't have problems getting DVDs and DIVXs to work.

Honestly, I don't understand why you installed SUSE instead of 10.0 OE.

Ciao,

Sitor

What is the advantage over MDL 10.0? 10.0 OE is very good, and it also has kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2. I don't know any bugs in 10.0 OE, and you don't have problems getting DVDs and DIVXs to work.

Honestly, I don't understand why you installed SUSE instead of 10.0 OE.

Ciao,

Sitor

The most important reason is that I never got my wirless network&DSL connection to work under Mandrake.

That and a few smaller reasons like curiosity, trying out something new, all of the included software on the CD's (yes, I know Mandrake has a lot of software as well but the ones included in SuSe make more sense for my type of use). The promise of an powerful, easy to use, consistent control center. The included documentation (the user guide is really nice). The inclusion of Samba and a Samba configuration module. Me wanting to give something back to the developers, in this case by means of a purchase. This all fueled by my wish to start using Linux for day-to-day use and being impressed by the overall professionalism of SuSe, after doing some research and comparing.

You sound like if I'm saying that Mandrake is bad or worse than SuSe, Sitor, but that's not so. I am not that interested in comparing the two, I am just looking for a Linux distro that works for me. SuSe might be it, it seems very close to that point already, but I'll hold my final verdict until I used it for a bit longer.

Edited by Darkelve

Do you have the libdvdread, and the libdvdnav?

If yes - uninstall kaffeine, and try to delete your /home/$user/.kaffeine

Then reinstall kaffeine. - Hopefully it will detect now dvd ability, and you get in the kaffeine menus: play --> dvd

btw: kaffeine will probably be the default video player in Mandrake 10.1 - äähm, if you are interested as Suse user :D