EU Ambassadors vote to back Software Patents

spinynorman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest anon

Its sad, but i am not surprised, the EU is turning out to be one of the most corrupt and undemocratic institutions (governments ??) in the world.

This is worse than I thought.

A proposal from a close-door meeting can sidestep a previous one with open discussion, negotiation, albeit compromised with understanding from both sides of the issues, what happened to the EU Parliament or her members' belief in democracy and legitimacy?

Crap, let's support the Online Protest again, only this time it is not just about Patent issue; it has also become an issue of favoring close-door black box operation when rational and understanding discussions was conducted openly beforehand.

I think nevertheless, the whole FOSS community should react, and not sit back and watch what happens. This is at this moment more important then anything else regarding FOSS. If this legislation passes, you want be able to work on FOSS anymore, because with every line of code you will be writing, you will be running the risk that some big company that has patented "Hello world" will drag you into court.

Even if their claims do not make any sense at all, you'll be bankrupt before that a judge will confirm that, so you will not be able to run the risk. Finished with developing (and probably using, see what SCO is doing to Linux users) open source software!

There are some sites that are starting a nice initiative. They list from all politicians in the European Parliament what their attitude has been on software patents up till now:

For Holland:

http://www.softwarepatenten.be/rapport.html

For Belgium:

http://www.softwarepatenten.be/rapport.html

What I am going to do now, is to find fax or e-mail of the politicians that behaved negative to software patents, give them a pat on the back and ask them to prove in the coming weeks (just before the European elections) to show they are serious with it and to take firm action to stop this nonsense (demonstrations, ...).

Besides that I am going to confront the ones that have behaved positive to software patents with their attitude, give some facts why this is not good, and (in the view of the elections) ask them to change their position and show this very clearly (demonstrations, ...).

I hope that everyone on this board will follow this example, then we might have some effect.

Ciao,

Sitor

Edited by sitor

I write to my MEP before but Ill do it again.

This is really dispicable.

I was talking to some Irish people last night and they were saying how nice it was to be able to smoke in a bar again.

I was saying I havnt been in Ireland for about 5 yrs but I cant imagine this. If someone had told me 5 yrs ago that something so undemocratic would take place in ireland I would have laughed.

The SW patent thing is just the same. Its a complete overriding of the democratic process. Whoever is steering the presidency of the EU needs seeing to. I mean taking sponsorship for MS is so transparent.

Back to the cigaretts.

I asked why they hadnt protested .... etc. because of opinion polls saying they were in a minority. However this is BULL, it depends what questions were asked. I quit smoking a couple of months ago but I dont mind going to a smoking bar. more importantly I might choose a non smoking bar if I had a choice but obviously not enough people think its important enough to make it viable.

However the fine is 3000 Euro .. and cigarettes are legal whereas the maximum fine for canabis is 300 (personal amounts).

So these guys have given up. Its passed ... therefore because of the HUGE fines associated noone is willing to make a stand. Even further non payment of this fine leads to imprisonment apparently. (even for those who cant afford it)

This is IMHO what the EU presidency and MS their paymaster want to do for software apatents. Push it thorough and then its done... even if the process is later criticised noone will dare stand against it.

The time to act is therefore NOW.

Again !!!

Didn't we already told them NOT to patent software ?

Didn't they said ok ?

Why do I have the impression that as soon as we turn back they try to f**k us ?

hey we have something else to do than checking them, demonstrate, sign petitions !

don't they fear that next time we'll :hanged: them ?