where is root user? Mandrake 10 (community)

Newbie needs guidance!

I have just installed Mandrake 10 (community) on Dell Optiplex GX1 (PIII-500, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB hard disk). During the installation, it asked for root password which I entered. Then it asked for a regular user. This I also did. Now when I start the system in X-window (which I had checked during the installation), it only shows that regular user's name, and asks for its password. There is no way that I can select root as an user in the GUI log-in. Add a user says that "root" user already exists (but does not display it). Most of the time, I use KDE.

The last time I had installed Mandrake 9.1, and it use to show both root and other regular user.

How can I fix this.

MA

I don't know the answer to your question - but, why do you want to log in as root? This is very insecure and also makes it pretty easy for you to hose your system.

If you need to do something as root, just enter

su

in a comand shell and enter your passwordf and you will be in as root

If you need to run a GUI app then you can use kdesu.

This is something that is designed to protect your system. Anything that needs root access can be done through a terminal / console window. But if you wanted to... you could

start up Mandrake Control Center

System --> Configuration --> Configure your computer

(it will ask for your root password here)

choose Boot and then Autologin

There is an option there to "Launch the graphical environment"

If this is unchecked, it will bring you to a command line where you would be able to log in as root, instead of auto launching your GUI destop.

You can also unhide the root login. It is in the kde system configuration panel under "configure your desktop". I'll get specific when I get home and off of this worthless windex box. B)

Guest anon

KD contol center>>>>>System Admin>>>>>>>Login Manager

Select the "users" tab at the top, and then in the show users box, tick "selected only" then tick your_name and root. Click apply. And thats it.