UK Broadband Providers

Leo

I am currently using a dial up connection and want broadband (but do not want to pay the earth for it) does anyone have any recommendations.

I am based in South Wales I do not live in a cabled area I do not want to go for a limited service (i.e. not the BT 1GB limit). I will be using it to download Linux bits and pieces, browsing, email and possibly setting up a website (once I get more confident). It will also be used for music downloads etc...

Other than that I am not really sure what I need to look for as I do not understand a number of the limitations set by the providers or what hardware I need (other than a modem). What should I be looking for?

Prodigynet seem to have a fairly good offer, has anyone got any experience of them as a company/provider?

Thanks

Leo

I've been with PlusNet for almost a year and can recommend them.

The standard package (ADSL Home) costs £21.99, but I have Homesurf for £18.99 as I don't need peer-to-peer. :)

The modem they offered wasn't compatible with Linux so I got an Alcatel Speedtouch. You may find it simpler to get a router instead... :unsure:

Have a look around their portal - you should find answers to most of your questions.

Alcatel Speedtouch

I would recommend you not to get that modem (I got a friend who still cannot connect with linux because of it), in fact i wouldnt recommend you any USB modems but a router instead as Leo said.

Other than that i cant really comment on uks isps.

If the ISP offers a Motorola Surfboard as the modem, its a good modem. Thats what i have for my cable connection.

As for the speedtouch,it can work and usually does, but if it doesnt, all you need to do is get a decent router, and connect the modem to the router and your computer to the router, and you shouldnt have a problem :D

We've been with Tiscali for the last 2 years on a no frills packge. Didn't get a free modem we choose to buy an ADSL modem/router/switch instead (so no driver problems). The connection has always been decent enough and never had a problem with reliability. Not sure if there is a bandwidth limit, but if there is we've never hit it.