files / applications association

jeanrev

Hi all,

how can I associate the text files with Kwrite ?

At the moment they are opening with Kedit and

I would like to use the Kwrite ability to adapt the text to the width of the window so that I can read a help file or whatever information from the Net in the corner of my screen while I am doing the job concerned

I tried the K/configuration/Kde/components/associated applications

but in the opening window "Associated applications"

I cannot find the way to implement this association

thanks for your help

may be the operation is quicker in console ?

do you mean plain text?

If so, it's probably a bad idea to do this as it could bork your configuration files etc - there are fundamental differences between an editor and a word processor.

using the shell, you could just do kwrite name-of-file (assuming the file is in your current directory)

BTW, kwrite isn't a great word processor anyway

Yes I mean plain text

what is the difference using Kedit or Kwrite ?

It is not in order to process the text, it is in order to view it in a convenient manner on my screen

the text in Kwrite can adapt to the width of the window where it appears

and this is not the case in Kedit

dis you noticed that ?

in KDE, to associate programs with different files types, you need to go to KCC (KDE Control Center, or the "Configure your Desktop" link as it's now called)->components->file associations. since most config files are just text files, you would go to the "text" branch where it says "known types" & look for "plain" (with the little pen & paper icon). there you can change what you want to associate with any file type, add file types, etc. click "apply" when done. personally, i have edited config files with KWrite since day one without a problem. but, i do see Qchem's point about using the proper editor to edit certain types of files. KWrite has always been the default "plain text" file association since my first install, so i never changed it.

Chris

In fact I don't know how to use the window you get by :

K/configuration/kde/components/files association/

to link the plain text files to Kwrite

by default there are linked to Kedit with MDK9.1

thanks

if you want to make KWrite the default app to open text files, do one of the following......

when you are in file associations->text->plain (text), look in the right hand panel. at top it will say "file name patterns" & there will be a box that should say *.txt. that's the default extension for a normal text file. in the bottom panel it will say "application preference order". in the window it will list various apps you can use to open text files. KDE will use whatever app is at the top of that list to open the associated file type. if KWrite is already in the list, but not at the top, simply click on KWrite to highlite it, then click the "move up" button to move it to the top. click "apply". now KWrite will open by default whenever you click on a .txt file.

if KWrite isn't in the list, click the "add" button. on the "general" tab name it KWrite, on the "permissions" tab set your permissions as you desire (user, group, and the various "read", "write", "exec" boxes that you want). (i think the default is all three "read" boxes & the "write" box for user. "sticky" is usually left blank.) under the "execute" tab, type kwrite %U in the "command" box. that will let the user open kwrite. you could also just type kwrite (without the %U & it will still work as long as the owner is accessing the file that is being opened). leave all other boxes under the "execute" tab blank. under the "application" tab, if it isn't filled in by default already (i think it should be) put KWrite next to "name" put Text Editor next to "description" put KWrite next to "comment". don't worry about anything else under the "application" tab, or the "meta info" tab. click "ok" when you're done with the "add" dialogue box. move the KWrite entry to the top if it isn't there already. on the "embedding" tab make sure the button that says "use settings for 'text' group" is checked. click "apply", you're done.

Chris

Thank you Chri z, your answer is a help to me also so I will use it too.

I often wanted to do this but came up against the wall so did not bother any further.

Will now.

Your detailed answer is the kind that I think there is too little of. This is not mean't to belittle or demean the help given by others in anyway, it is just that some of us need a little more hand holding than others and that especially includes me.

Good one mate.

Cheers. John.

thanks for the kind words AussieJohn. glad i could be of some help to you & jeanrev.

Chris