Toshiba 5xxx/Nvidia probs/5.21.04

I have just installed MDK10 Official on my laptop--Toshiba 5005-S507. Dragonmage helped me with it when I installed 9.2, to whom I give great thanks!

1. It appears that the Toshutils and Toshiba Extras that are in Kernel 2.6.x, along with ACPI are not working/activated. I need these in order to get sound working and to monitor battery management and other features for this laptop.

2. I was able to go into MCC >Services and enable ALSA, but it didn't do anything. When I boot up now, I get a sound server error message.

3. Also in the Services I don't have Hotplug running, should I change that to run on bootup???

4. Additionally, when I try to run Frozen Bublle in Full Screen, it has a black bakground with just a square in the middle fhe game. The default resolution for this laptop is 1600x1200, which is the default.

Edited by lawsonrc

1. As far as I know, there is a bug in the ACPI implementation of kernel 2.6.x up to 2.6.5. Mandrake 10 uses kernel 2.6.3 so it is included in the bugged kernel list. There may be an option to use kernel 2.4.x in Mandrake 10 however, so try using that instead.

2. Since ACPI is not working, sound is not working. This laptop needs ACPI to work in order to have sound.

Thanks DragonMage,

It's great to hear from you again.

The reason I joined the MandrakeClub was to get the 2.6.x kernel.

If I had known about the bug, I wouldn't have spent the money to join the club. :wall: (I'm jobless now and spending $132 US took a big toll out of my monthly budget).

Is there not an updated kernel and kernel source that would work like you helped me with for MDK9.2?

Is there the option to download the latest kernel and get it to play nice wtih both MDK10 and ACPI, or is that too complicated (I realized the included kernel has been customized by MDK fo the distro). :juggle:

I would hate to go back to the 2.4.x kernel as that is what I already have on MDK9.2. :angry:

Anyway, you're always a big help to me and I appreciate it.

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

Well.. you can always go cooker. The kernel in the cooker is 2.6.6 rc1.. You can get it in this link

http://mandrake.contactel.cz/Mandrake-deve...1-1mdk.i586.rpm

Or you can get a more stable Thomas Backlund kernel (the one used by pclinuxos) in this link

http://mandrake.contactel.cz/Mandrake-deve...1-1mdk.i586.rpm

Thanks DragonMage,

I will most likely choose the more stable Thomas Backlund kernel. I'll try to get someone at the HoustonLUG help me (we have a workshop every Wed. evening) since one of the forum moderators of this forum whom I know will be busy on a Mother's Day weekend (you know who.

I hope all is well with you half a world away from me.

Richard L.

Hi DragonMage,

I tried the two links you gave me for kernels, but each one delivers me to the home page of

http://mandrake.contactel.cz/

I don't understand the language there (Finnish? Hungarian? or a Slavic language?).

I did a Google search for Thomas Backlund and wound up at this site, which provides kernel-2.6.6.0.rc3.1mdk :

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/15/pa...ake_org%3E.html

This is the "more stable" Thomas Becklund kernel you were talking about...or is it a less stable "cooker" kernel?

I've downloaded it into my home directory.

Now, should I use it or not?

Thanks, Richard

I would...and am ;)

btw, if you follow those links they just go to cooker kernels......and I'm not a mod anymore :cheeky:

Also keep in mind that, well I d/k about laptops but, the default in the bootloader for acpi= in ML-10 is ht

acpi=ht

which is for only at boot. You need to change it to

acpi=on

I guess since the rapid Mandrake development rears its head again.. I mean, it's been less than a week since I gave you the link, and those links are outdated. I guess there is a newest version of the kernel already out.

Anyway, usually Thomas Backlund takes the most stable cooker kernel (at least for his case) and then add his own patches in there.. It seems that people who uses it doesn't have any problems. However, your mileage may vary.

BTW, I am also not a mod anymore :cheeky:

So, do I install the kernel

kernel-2.6.6.0.rc3.1mdk -1-1mdk.i586.rpm

or not?

bvc....I went to lilo.conf and changed acpi=ht to acpi=on...there is still no sound. In addition, I need to add the toshutils and toshiba extras.

Richard L.

All done with DragonMage, bvc's help and then help at weekly Houston LUG by two guys.

John L. had to download a src.rpm after installing the one above. He got it from cooker. This had to be done so that after the NVIDIA driver was downloaded, it could be installed successfully and also get 3D Acceleration working (GeForce 5200+).

Then John G. had to urpmi acpi and acpid...luckily CD1 was already in the drive so they both installed immediately. He check a file in /proc and all the Toshiba Utilities were there as well as acpi and acpid.

I'm glad I had all these great "techies" to help me. I feel really luckily to have this forum and also the HLUG.

That's it for this thread.

I hope it will help another Toshiba Laptop user who needs acpi in order to get sound to work.

Cheers,

Richard L.

• 2 weeks later...

Now having problem with NVIDIA....as you may have read above, I had to install Thomas Becklund's version of 2.6.6 kernel to get ACPI and sound working.

By doing so, there are framebuffer issues (don't understand this as I'm a total non-techie), and as a result I no longer get the nice GUI for bootup (where you can press ESC for verbose mode) nor for bootdown. Just get the old black background with white letters. This is okay, I guess, though I prefer the other.

MY PROBLEM NOW: About every four or five times I boot up, it switches mysteriously from INIT: runlevel 5 to runlevel 6.

As a result, I have to login as root and reinstall the NVIDIA driver that is in my home/user/Downloads directory by doing the sh NVIDIA.........run thingy. Then login as my user name and "startx". No fun to have to do this several times a week. :angry:

It is the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Any solution to this aggravating NVIDIA problem? :wall:

(Also, any way to easily get back framebuffer to get the nice Mandrake GUI for bootup/bootdown. If it's complicated...I can just forget it).

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc