Two hardware questions, please

83mercedes

1) I got the bug to buy a dvd writer, cannot find anything listed in the hardware compatibility list, has anybody got one to work? Please give details!

2) I also got the urge to get away from a 56k modem and go to high-speed DSL or cable. My choices available are Pacific

Bell DSL or Cox Cable. Both of these companies say you must have some version of winblows to use their service. I find this hard to believe, and please somebody tell me that either of those services WILL work with Linux??

Thanks in advance. :roll:

Can't help with the DVD writer question but I can offer some advice for the high speed internet.

As long as the high speed internet access works without some special Windows program you will be fine. You might be able to ask customer support if the service will work with a router.

Perhaps others can eb of more assistance.

They say windows because their GUI software is windows only. Mandrake works fine with dsl. I have verizon, and all you need to know from them is the dns servers you are using. I would recommend a router, whether a cheap junk computer with linux or a hardware router like an smc. (If their software works through Internet Explorer, then mozilla or konquerer will access it as well)