Lockups in 10

crock

I'm getting some pretty consistent lockups. Both thru Mandrake 10CE and 10 Official. I can use both cdroms on my system, and MagicDev seems to mount them fine. I can also view the contents and work with the files on the cds. The problem occurs when I try to do ANYTHING other than work with the cd. If I open Mozilla with a cd in the cdrom, then the whole system locks hard. I try the same process with Evolution - and the same hard lock occurs.

Anyone think installing the nForce2 drivers will help?

Anyone have any similar situations?

nforce2 : possibly, sounds like DMA or similar.

It might be a bizarre permission thing. I know evolution scans the directories below and displays number of files etc.

When you open it on the icon what is different ... is it permissions ??

I'll check the permissions, but if it were truly permissions, wouldn't I at very least be able to kill the application that froze and still have some remaining X functionality?

You absolutely must install the nforce drivers for any of your ide channels to work effectively. So, yes, install the nvidia drivers. You should see an improvenment in not only ide function, but your video will improve as well.

Well, I did the install of the nForce drivers, and all seems to be well. I'm going to test a few applications with a cdrom inserted, and I'll post back with any information. Thanks again guys!

That was the entire problem. Installing the nForce2 drivers worked perfectly. I cannot say how unbelievable MDK 10 Official is. Thanks for the help!