Mandrake Desktop Edition

ral

I almost DREAD to correct you sitor....

The problem is that the US has a history of penalising the company not only for what they provide in an American release but if that company does something legal abroad but not legal in America.

Its perhaps semantics but from a US POV lets take an extreme example... a company is selling slaves in Africa. The company is American and its clearly both illegal and immoral.

So the US buerocracy swings into motion and penalises the parent company to make them stop. Without ... (well lets just say rich people stand less chance of going to jail in America than poor people) ...

Now a different situation is a Non American company doung the same thing... again if they have a US office the US will interfere. I can understand why becuase this is a human right violation.

Some European countries have this too. For instance being a mercanary is illegal in Germany but not France. In France you can be legally contracted to say a foreign goverment as a mercanary but not in germany you can only fight against someone germany says (this might have changed under EU law now - it used to be the case when some of my east german merc friends were caught in this trap after Unification)

Slightly different is a company with DVD playback under linux using libdvdcss2

IMHO this is vastly different to human rights abuses.

However America will close down a company for what it views as illegal activity even though that activity is perfectly legal in thecountry it is being performed in. If this were not the case we would have a Non_US fork of Mandrake.

Gowater,

I do not know much of the legal mumbo jumbo, so don't ask me how, but possible it must be. Just read that Java Desktop 2 has been launched by SUN and that it has DVDCSS by default.

So if there is a way for SUN to do it, there must be a way for MandrakeSoft as well. And if MandrakeSoft does not, others will! And why would anyone then still buy MandrakeSoft?

I like MandrakeSoft a lot because it is fully open, newbie friendly and you can find packages for it for almost any soft that is available for free on Linux via official sources or PLF.

If the PLF like stuff is already foreseen in a distro that costs less then a year of MandrakeClub,...

Ciao,

Sitor

Linspire has it too becuase you license it officially .... but I diont think Sun is using the actual libdvdcss ... like Linspire its probably a legal one.

This is a tricky situation. Linspire chage me $5 for dvd playback but thats unneeded outside of America. (actually I dont mind) but the point remains what next licensing MP3 ... etc etc.

It soon becomes a NON GPL distro.