How to compile 3.2.2 on Mdk 9.2?

arshadmomen

OK - this might be a dumb question but I am sure mandrakeusers have the answer

So, here is the story .....

I have downloaded the Cooker SRPMS and would like to build KDE-3.2.2 on

Mdk-9.2. ( I have already built and installed qt-3.2.3 ). The kdelibs build went on smoothly but can't install them as rpm complains kdelibs and its development package should be >= 3.1.91 . I can remove the devel package along with the others dependent on it to avoid the dependency problem but obviously can't remove

the libkdebase4 package without spoiling the dependency.

How can I get around it ? Or rather what is the sequence for building KDE-3.2.2 ?

Should I change the dependencies in the spec files ...... :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

A.

Question: Why the srpms?

You can add a cooker source to urpmi and install kde 3.2.2 that way.

Anyway, is it giving you the error when you're rebuilding the rpms or when you're trying to install them?

For those that might not be aware, when you download an srpm (someprogram.src.rpm) you have to issue the rpm --rebuild command to 'build' the rpm package (usually goes to /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/) Then you can install (or upgrade) the package using rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/someprogram.rpm (use rpm -Uvh to upgrade, rather than install) Check our RPM FAQs for more rpm and urpmi related information.

If you're getting the error when you're installing the packages, why not cd to the right folder and rpm -ivh (or -Uvh) *.rpm ? That might work. If you're getting the error on building the rpms, let us know and we can help you out from there.

Thanks for your reply.

You asked "why the srpms?" . My typical response would be why not!

My impression is that I have not managed tp spell out my problem clearly

The problem is not with the build but rather with the install. When I try to install the (locally) built

rpms this is what I get:

--------------------------------

rpm -Uvh libkdecore4-* kdelibs-common-3.2.2-2mdk.i686.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:

libkdebase4 < 3.1.91 conflicts with libkdecore4-3.2.2-2mdk

--------------------------------

using the " rpm -ivh " makes the problem worse :

-----------------------------------------------

rpm -ivh libkdecore4-* kdelibs-common-3.2.2-2mdk.i686.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:

libkdecore4 < 3.1.91 conflicts with libkdecore4-3.2.2-2mdk

libkdebase4 < 3.1.91 conflicts with libkdecore4-3.2.2-2mdk

kdelibs-common < 3.1.91 conflicts with kdelibs-common-3.2.2-2mdk

------------------------------------------------

Any idea why the conflict would arise in the first place ??

One of the reasons for not using the Cooker built rpms is that one is not sure which version of gcc

was used to build them e.g. the qt libs. From my litle experience I have seen if one installs libqt-devel package built by say gcc-2.96 and later trying to compile another qt based app using another version of gcc then qt cannot be linked by autoconf/automake for the build. Same is true for the kernel .....

Thus, I find it is always safe to use the SRPMS and peform local build - just to mantain the sanity

of the builds. You might say I would be better off with Gentoo but I have been using Mdk since 6.0 and the distro has grown on me.

Now back to the original question ( rephrased ) :

Can I ignore the dependency problem mentioned above and use a --nodeps switch ..... and not risk a

mess of a machine?

I can tinker with the spec file to change the kde version to get the message. Would that be advisable?

Sorry for the long post but I think that I was not clearly stating the problem earlier. ( May be it is still not clear ...)

Thanks.

A.

:help:

Edited by arshadmomen

How about this: cd to the folder that the built rpms are in and type

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

or

urpmi *.rpm

That will install all of them in the correct order and you shouldn't get any errors (unless there is another, non KDE dependency)

Dear LiquidZoo,

I really appreciate you trying to help me out here.

But, I have a catch22 situation here. Can't compile kdebase unless I have

kdelibs > 3.2....

Remember I have Mdk-9.2 thus kdelib-3.1.3. So, no kdebase-3.2.2 does not compile unless I have kdelib-3.2, but I can't install kdelib-3.2... 'cause I have kdebase-3.1.3 ..... and it goes on.

:oops:

Thanks.

are you trying to do this while in KDE? if so, try booting into Gnome (or any other DE), force install the KDE libs first, then proceed with the rest of the packages. the key is to do it from a DE other than KDE.

rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps nameofpackage.rpm

or

urpmi --force --allow-nodeps nameofpackage.rpm

Chris

It might sound weird that I do not use kde for my DE but XFCE3!!

However, the problem , as I realized , arose from the spec file requirements. I wish these conflicts

were written carefully - so that poor souls like us who try to compile rpms now and then do not

run into such troubles.

I changed the "Requires: .... " to kde-3.1.2 so that the conflict for Mdk-9.2 does not arise. The built kdelibs rpms now installs OK except for one file conflict which I can avoid using the "--replacefiles".

Now off to building the rest of KDE-3.2.2......

Will report again if problems arise again.

Thanks everybody! :cheesy: