Back to Mandrake =)

ral

Have not use Mandrake Linux since 8.2. Went to RedHat (8.2 than 9) after that lured by the simpler Gnome based Bluecurve desktop and nice lookign fonts. For the past year I have been running Windows again. I was disheartened when RedHat drop its desktop line and did not feel like going to Fedora which sounds like a beta forever.

Anyway, I picked up a copy of Mandrake 10. Was curious to see how it stack up... and I was amaze.d. I have a separate hard drive to install Linux on so I told the intaller to use available free space and installed the default options (I forgot whether I selected desktop or something). Instalation took all of ten minutes.... WOW. Used to remember when Installing it took 45 minutes. Went with the default to see what it look like and am very happy with the default install. Not too cluttered, just a good selection of programs. Had to add Mozilla (preferred browser and kppp for my dial up, but that was a breeze too).

20-25 minutes from intall to the time I am typing this message. Am glad to be back... and it looksl ike Linux is really desktop ready.

Edited by ral

Okay... have encountered one problem. Totem is unable to play my DVD's. With some DVD's it can play the intro. But it never makes it to the movie before crashing... LG DVD/CDRW. Any ideas?

got Xine installed? Use it. afaik Totem on mandrake is compiled with gstreamer which contrary to many developer's belief is as stable as an easter egg on the edge of a cliff in a storm. Dont got Xine installed? Install it -- or mplayer

Okay... have encountered one problem. Totem is unable to play my DVD's. With some DVD's it can play the intro. But it never makes it to the movie before crashing... LG DVD/CDRW. Any ideas?

Do you have libdvdcss installed?

Tha's all I needed to install to get DVD playing going smoothly with Totem.

Not much not to like once you have everything working.

Truly, Mandrake 10 compared to its previous versions... just make them look pale in comparison. The rate of progress in Linux just continues to amaze me.

Oh yeah, welcome (back[?]) on the board!