Installing Apache webserver

SwiftDeath

When installing Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community, I selected the option for Apache Webserver. I also installed MySql so I could run basic databases.

How do I configure Apache, its really confusing (I'm a former IIS user) and I don't know what pathfile to put my webpages in.

Is their a package for phpmyadmin or something similiar. I need a easy way to comfigure MySql databases.

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

Default directory for your webserver is /var/www/html

You can install webmin, start it on the command line as root with the command

service webmin start

and point your browser to https://localhost:10000 and login as root, you will see under the Servers tab an icon for MySQL.

phpMyAdmin is also available to install.

(Don't read any further if you understood everything I said up there)

To install webmin from the commandline, open a console (it is located under System->Terminals or the little TV-looking icon in your taskbar) and do this (anything you see in <<brackets>> is just a comment or an action and you don't actually type it, just follow the instructions):

su <<hit enter>>

<<type in your root password...you won't see anything being typed and hit enter>>

urpmi webmin <<hit enter>>

service webmin start <<hit enter>>

Thanks,

Thats a sweet a program but it hard to configure apache, because thats set for apache 1 and i'm using apache2 so you have to change alot and its kind hard.

Thanks, its really helpful. Is their any settings I should be aware about that would stop basic user fuctioning like a forum or ftp connections or something?

Their... I fixed that problem by updating the webmin by using the update button.

My problem is when I am configuring the Pro Ftp server using webmin and start the initial and allowed directories to only be /var/www/html, when I log on it still logs me on the the home directory which kinda confusing.

I am also trying to get the webserver to work on port 8000, and when i make the virtual server for it and choose the same setting as the default server, except for t he port to be 8000, its not working. Maybe I am forgetting something.

Btw, this webmin tool looks very promising and If I can figure this out, I'm never using IIS again. lol