A few problems with a few games

SwiftDeath

I currently am trying to play 3 games on a linux box and I can't get either 3 to work.

1. Medal Of Honor- I downloaded the Beta 2 installer from icculus but It gets about one 1/3rd done and then just stops and never continues. But still shows signs the comp didn't freeze.

2. Savage the Battle For Newerth Linux Demo- I try to start the game and I get a agp driver error. So I try to download a driver for sis... but it seems none exist. So I end up putting in a Radeon 7500 (which is better anyways) and then when I load the game its just grey and white like before but no error message.

And you can't move around and stuff... just like with the agp driver error message.

3. Americas Army- I'm sorry I currently can't remember or check the exact error message but Its something about not being able to run 2 things. They show coordinates (0,0) on the side and I don't know if that means anything.

--EDIT--

Below is the exact error I get in the terminal if I run the game from the terminal.

Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

--EDIT--

P.S. I have Mandrake Community 10.0 and I bought it for 5 bucks from some place. Then about a week later the 10,0 official came out. Am I missing out on anything? Should I try to buy it? It is the same exact thing with just a extra CD?

Thanks, I am happy linux has a nice community like this to help me out,

SwiftDeath

Edited by SwiftDeath

No I didn't actually... When I first put in the card though it asked if i wanted 3d hardware acceleration and I put yes and the computer didn't boot properly so I reconfigured the graphics card and put no the next time.

I will go look on their site for that right now. (btw... on graphics card, i went under vendor and chose radeon.)

ok, try this [in a terminal]:

su to root

use vi or nano or whatever text editor to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

scrolled down to the very bottom of the file, and either uncomment or add:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

give that a go...

How do I open the text editor from the terminal?

I also installed Neverwinter Nights Gold and I unzip discs 2,3,4 but when I get to disc 1 the cd-rom can't seem to read the cd. I was following the instructions on the official NWN site and they didn't seem to have an answer.

Boy I feel dumb... I was browsing the setting of the X server... and I didn't enable 3-d Hardware Acceleration. This fixes my problem with AA, but the graphics and really bad when you first get in, and when you try and start a game you can't see anything at all....

So I took your idea and added that DRI thing to the file, but that didn't help the graphics eitheir. I checked Savage and that game still doesn't work.

I also downloaded RTCW: ET and the graphics and great and stuff but theirs some weird problems when joining teams.... You select a team, job, and weapon and press ok... and then it just forgets about it. LOL.... I am starting to think Linux isn't a good machine for gamers.

Edited by SwiftDeath

I agree with FFF on that one. NVIDIA is definitely the way to go, but I understand thats not helping your current situation :)

Linux is not yet a gaming system at heart, no doubt there are some in the works and if I ever get l33t enough in linux I would look at creating one which was more "optimised" for the gaming community. Personally, the only thing holding me back is the lack of support of linux by game developers, and the problems that can be found in emulation (eg. winex). Frame rate drops, control lag etc. spring to mind when emulating the newer non-native games.

As for your situation, in terms of driver support, there isnt much you can do except maybe drop the manufacturer a line and let them know. As time goes on, the linux community is getting more respected and their opinions more noted. Lets just hope ATI get their act together and start competing with NVIDIA in the linux driver support race too :thumbs:

Sorry I cant really help you with the price due to the different value of things in different countries.

First of all Id recomend an NVIDIA chip. At the moment GeForce4's have some pretty good bang for your buck, but if you a bit of extra dosh you could go for the FX series.