Updating MDK10 CE to OE

floyd_3313

OK, when MDK 10 Community came out it was said that when Official came out we could upgrade to it... How do we do that?

Are the CE software mirrors not being updated anymore now? ie. If you are up to date on the community mirrors, you are updated to official edition?

If this is the case, do I just add a CE urpmi source for Main, Contrib and PLF, then do

urpmi --auto --auto-select

Then change my urpmi sources to the MDK10 Official ones?

That method should work.

but... (there's always a but :lol2:)

MandrakeLinux released a statement saying that you shouldn't mix CE and OE packages. This confused the hell out of me, and I know I'm not the only one. There's no easy way to make sure that you're upgrading every package when you do the urpmi --auto-select --auto with the OE mirrors...unless you like going through an ftp mirror to verify individual packages. I don't.

I don't know what the result might be if you tried the method you suggested. If someone has done it, I hope they can reply here and let us know how it went.

I and many have done it and I haven't seen a lot of problems with it???...and this is the first I've heard about not mixing. Are they insane? :wall: The only problem I had was nautilus crashing and failing. So I went cooker.....still happened.....so I used a cooker someone else used successfully.....still happened and I guess maybe this is what they/you are talking about? CE still curses me, so I guess only a clean install of official will fix it? CE should have been fixed to accept an upgrade, instead of attempting to put makeup on it and call it Official. Oh, sure I could drop to init 1 or the rescue cd, rip it down to bare bones and ftp the official, but... :screwy:

Edited by bvc