An appeal

arthur

In a few weeks' time I'll be going home to the Philippines. I have plans to promote linux heavily there. Broadband is very rare there, but I have a CD burner and plenty of blank CDs. Most of my classmates are only dial-up, so distros like Gentoo are not really advisable. :( I myself will have to stick with dial-up :wall:

I'm currently downloading (through ADSL) Debian Unstable, Slackware 9.1 and Fedora Core 1, but it's taking forever ( :screwy: >10 CDs) and I don't have that much time. I already have MDK 9.2 and 10CE. I plan to finish as many CDs as I can but I'd appreciate some :help:

If you're feeling generous and happen to just have a few extra CDs of good distros around, I would be very grateful if you mail them to me @ 2C Freedom Lane Interville 2 Homes, Culiat, Quezon City, Philippines 1128.

My address right now is Blk. 121 Bukit Batok Central, #13-445 Singapore 650121 but I'll be staying only a few weeks, so use the Phil. address unless you're very near here. :juggle:

I don't desperately need this, but you can save me a few hours of sleep. If you don't want to, then just send me a postcard. :thumbs: B) thanks all

Edited by arthur

I suggest you take open office as well, if you can't interest them in the operating system a free office suite might catch their interest-depending on who you're giving it to of course. Any business would find it of interest especially of MS office is as prohibitively exoensive there as it is in the UK

you are just in time. the officers of the philippine linux user group as well as some academic and business institutions are planning on holding a medium-scale celebration for software freedom day. your help and contribution would be greatly appreciated so you might want to get in touch of them if you happen to have some left-over CDs. if i remember correctly, the current plan is to give away Knoppix, Mandrake, MandrakeMove and some *BSD cds for newbies to get their feet wet. the versions are not yet finalized as it is slated for August 29 and the software versions could still change.

happy trip and maligayang pagbabalik.

ciao!

argh, by August 29 I could be overseas again(either back to Singapore or to the UK), so I just wish that group all the luck.

Unfortunately gmac software piracy is the norm over there except in rare cases, and people don't care about the legal issues very much. So I guess my argument for linux is not the legality, but the price, and its features as a more powerful operating system. Some of my classmates have already been wowed by the cool screenshots. :D

I'm bringing over OO.o and the GIMP 2.0 for windows too. Debian unstable is downloading at 30kb/s...it's going to be a long day. :(

you are just in time. the officers of the philippine linux user group as well as some academic and business institutions are planning on holding a medium-scale celebration for software freedom day. your help and contribution would be greatly appreciated so you might want to get in touch of them if you happen to have some left-over CDs. if i remember correctly, the current plan is to give away Knoppix, Mandrake, MandrakeMove and some *BSD cds for newbies to get their feet wet. the versions are not yet finalized as it is slated for August 29 and the software versions could still change.

happy trip and maligayang pagbabalik.

ciao!

I really suggest you TARGET...

To make a difference you need to support and the plan highlighted by Ramfree17 makes good sense (IMHO)

Tobe honest Id take Kantonix ... becuase the LIVe worls well and if they then install they end up with pure debian not the leftovers of knoppix....

but thats my 2c.....

Its also a single CD etc. which means if your givin em away itll be cheaper.

Good luck, I might be able to send a few sets :D but time will dictate!

Yeah dont get me wrong knoppix is GREAT but when you fdo the hard disk install it still behaves in a few ways like the LIVE version.

If you have broadband etc, the you could just do a deb netinstall etc. but if not then they are stuck with the slight quirks.

kantonix is really very similar and works the same but the INSTALL is more thorough.

So from the fact you wanna get the most on a single CD knoppix/kantonix work very well (2GB) per CD ....

kantonix is better for you I think becuase it doesnt need another CD and download to make it permanant.