Easy configuring question

neocytrix

Hey everyone!

I was fooling around with the looknfeel in mandrake and now when linux starts it starts in text mode, I have to log in as admin and type kdm to start the graphical environment. How do I get this setting back to default? I can't remember what I changed :wall:

-Neocytrix

You may have simply told it to start in text mode, but that is generally found in the Mandrake Control Center, MCC. Can you log in as your user and then type "startx" ? If you can, then go to mcc, boot, boot loader, and set it for lilo with graphic, or whatever loader you are using. You can also do this outside of x by su to root and type "mcc". You will get a text-like version of mcc.

gui the setting is still going to be in mcc>Boot...BUT, all that does is what you can do yourself in mcc>Sytem>DrakXServices in 9.2, just Services in 10-CE. Make sure dm is checked to run at boot. If you want to do it from the command line it's;

chkconfig dm on

but then you'll need (well you should need to) edit /etc/inittab and change the default runlevel from 3 to 5.

id:5:initdefault

I think you can also do it in kcontrol if the rt pkgs are installed (whatever they are).

Edited by bvc

AFAIK, there's no way to change the graphical login from Kontrol Center->LookNFeel. for shits & giggles, open Mandrake Control Center (MCC)->boot->DrakBoot, look in the "System Mode" section & see if there's a check in the box where it says "launch the graphical environment when your system starts". if it isn't checked, check it, save, then reboot. you should be back to your graphical login.

Chris