I am looking for a linux equivalant program. In win2000 I have

mailwasher, which allows me to see my email at my ISP before

I download it. mailwasher also allows me to delete spam, add

spam to a blacklist and so on. It there a linux program that is

similar or that can do these things? I miss being able to control

what email comes into my inbox. I use the latest Opera as my

email/browser. Thanks

Jason

Ive been using popfile to filter spam on my desktop and spamassisn on the server both of which are doing an excellent job.

Popfile is great, you install it, train it as its going to miss some spam and misclassify others but very quickly it will be configured and your spam will drop to almost nothing.

Ive been using popfile to filter spam on my desktop and spamassisn on the server both of which are doing an excellent job.

Popfile is great, you install it, train it as its going to miss some spam and misclassify others but very quickly it will be configured and your spam will drop to almost nothing.

Any chance it'll work on an NT box with Lotus Notes (6.5)?

I guess I'm asking too much here... :o

hi all.  now i keep on hearing about this so called Spam problem.  seriously u people need to get over it.  its not gonna kill u, i promise. :headbang:

Obviously you aren't getting enough in your inbox to try to find a solution then.

THe problem with mailwasher (I used to use it) is that when you bounce email, you just make the problem worse. More email traffic that costs money. Plus many spammers have learned to simply ignore these bounces or have software that can time the bounces to see if they were realtime or an user action.

I've used popfile as well. This works for any window or linux box. It acts like a proxy server and modifies the mail header via a set of rules that you define. Then your client can catch those mail headers and send them to destinations or kill them.

This works particiularly well with opera as opera allows the creation of folder views that can scan email headers/bodys/specific fields for a keyword.

So, in popfile I would define some catagories such as popspam, friends, work, business, so on. Then I would train popfile by telling it which emails I receive belong in which catagories. Eventually, it will pick this up on its own. It always does require some constant monitoring to make sure the small percentage of new mail is catagorized correctly.

Then I read my email with opera and have a view that for example, only views email with popspam in the header. I turn off opera's spam filter (mainly useless anyways). Then, once a week, I can quickly check my popspam folder for mistakes and then delete the rest..