When Will Win4Lin support Directx?

I don't subscribe to the win4lin mailing lists and am wondering if anyone knows what work is going on inside Netraverse to support real directx(read games) apps. I know the present win4lin has some basic directx compatabilty, but it's pretty primitive. If they can pull this off in the way that they've done the rest of their excellent product, it would be a killer app IMHO.

If anyone in the know would care to share their insights, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!! :thumbs: I guess I could have done that myself if I wasn't so lazy. :D

Anyway it sounds like quite a daunting technical problem to solve but I am mucho impressed with the technical skill of the Netraverse developers.

Edited by pmpatrick

Hey PMPATRICK,

I just got off the phone with the tech people. Unfortunately, even though they are working on the issue, they do not think it is likely for the next release or two.

This is unfortunate, however I believe that there are some other options out there for you.

Netraverse is much more concerned with getting WinNT working. That's their big project right now. They stopped compiling Win4Lin-patched distro-specific kernels (now you get a generic kernel or patch your own) in order to give them more time to work on NT support. Once they finish that they'll go back to work on DirectX. It may be a while, 'cause they don't get many requests for DirectX - several other things are a higher priority for most users - and it's not easy to do. I know I don't much care about DirectX. But it IS coming...eventually...