Problem with nano/ncurses

idud

Hi all, I'm a newbie just like Steve (if his newbieness is true, I think he's like a guru). If all of you don't mind let me join this topic.

I am interested in simpler text editor like pico, but since the license problem I turn to nano and found that it's as great as pico. But I encountered some "uncomfortableness", konsole (KDE's terminal) seems not to work well with ncurses which nano uses. It give us some unusual behaviour and ugly display on not only nano but also alsamixer, mp3blaster, menuconfig from kernel source, and much more (which uses ncurses library). First I think that the problem is in libncurses, but other teminal (I use rxvt, or even the console CTRL-ALT-F1) display it perfectly.

Does any of you know about this? Please share your experience. Thanx.

For simple editing vi is the 'king' of editors.

Well I think so but thats only because Im used to it :D

I think the thing with editors is people can get too carried away with them.

I tend to use vi for the system like files and /etc/fstab etc. becuase you are SURE it doesn't plop in extra charactars but often I use kedit for the long stuff like a httpd.conf file or XF86Config where the easier cut/paste helps.

I don't much use the intermediate editors with ncurses etc. because they tend to have dependancies etc. and sometimes (if running from a resuce disk etc.) you want the absolute minimal.

emacs is apparently GREAT but its a whole desktop in a way and looking a bit dated nowadays :D

Just my 2c

There is a known issue with the ncurses version in 10.0. I reported a bug on this months ago. An easy solution is to uninstall ncurses, libncurses5, and libncurses5-devel and install the versions from 9.2. If you have the cd's, they're on cd1, I think. If not, you can find them at your favorite mirror under the 9.2 main section.

Hi,

I downgraded the ncurses5 and libncurses5 packages with the ones from Mdk-9.1 (I don't have the 9.2 CDs since all my friends said that 9.1 is more stable than 9.2), but nothing changes. The konsole still dispaly the same "face".

I haven't try to downgrade the libncurses-devel package, because I have to take a rest for about 5 days. Is it any other suggestions?

Edited by idud

If you got the other 2 and still have the same problem, get the -devel version downgraded as well.  That should fix your issue.

I'm sorry for not taking a deeper look at my problem. The downgrading thing is perfectly fix the nano problem, now konsole displays it properly (thanx a lot man). And I only downgrade the ncurses5 and libncurses5, I didn't do anything with the ncurses5-devel because none of it installed on my Mdk-10-CE.

What is the problem now? Of course the other applications, especially alsamixer and the display of "make menuconfig" when configuring new kernel. I'm really sad when watching the "ugly" display. Can I do something? Or just wait for the bug fixes from kde? (Waiting would be ebough for me)

Anyway, thanx for the help from all of you.