Palm Tungsten-T connectivity

Padma

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in Software, but here goes....

I have a Palm Tungsten-T, that has a USB cradle for recharging and synching. I am running Mdk 10.0 CE (straight from the CDs, no updates (yet)).

What do I need to do to get it to synch, using Linux tools, such as KPilot, or JPilot?

(I feel like such a noob .... :cry: )

Hi there,

I use a Sony Clié, but as it's using PalmOS 5 I think it may apply to your Tungsten, too (*envy*, btw ;) ).

All I did was hook the cradle up, put the Palm in it, start JPilot. Then hit the "sync" button on the Palm, and MDK should automatically add the appropriate device to /dev JPilot can then use. It's not permanent, mind; i.e. whenever I synchronise, even in one sitting, I always first have to hit the sync button on my Palm, then the sync button in JPilot. But as the cradle has one itself, it's not a biggie for me.

Just give it a shot. Hit sync on the Tungsten first, then in your Pilot software. And see what happens.

-Sascha.rb

No prob. When I tried to get the Clié running on MDK9.2, I spent a full afternoon sifting through usenet and forums postings, preparing for the "incredibly difficult", and broke my system following guidelines from the year 2000 or so. :P In the end--and after a fresh install--I just resignedly pressed the sync button. Yes, I was surprised, too. :D Linux has come a far way indeed. Actually, I had more troubles getting the Palm to sync under WinXP than under Linux, in the end ...

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

:lol: -- I can sympathize!

I posted this thread after spending many hours searching the net for "How-to"s, and experimenting a little with no good results.

What's frustrating, to me, is that I have been using UNIX at work, to some degree or another, for over 15 years! I have been dabbling in Linux since Mdk 6.0 (although I didn't "get serious" until 9.1). I was preparing to do some heavy Command-Line-type tweaking as root, in order to get this to work. Linux has, indeed, come a long way! :D

One of the things that makes me keep working with Linux is the Community, the way people help each other. I visit many discussion boards/forums, on a variety of subjects, and it is rare indeed to find one where "newbies" aren't flamed immediately on asking a "newbish" question. Needless to say, the "civilized" boards are the ones I return to. This forum is now bookmarked, both at work and at home! :)