comments on major distros coming with 2.6

When I pickup one of the major new releases with 2.6, I want to put it on a new machine, without winblows. But I'm kinda interested in what I've read about Suse's Wine Rack (haven't read much though).

For a person who wants to leave winblows, would the coming Suse 2.6 and Wine Rack be a good choice? I've installed mandrake a couple of time (8.1 and 9.1) and RH 9.0. That's about it for my linux experience. I currently have RH 9.0 on my second machine and I really like it for what I've done on it so far.

I use my win2k machine for burning CDs, DVDs (Nero for CD burning, freebie program called DVD Shrink for burning DVDs). Also, I have a good 3-piece speaker system hooked up to my win2k machine. No speakers ever hooked up to my linux machine - so I don't know much about screwing around with sound on linux.

However, I will never leave windows unless I take the plunge and put linux 2.6 on a good machine, with speakers, and a DVD/CD burner so I can learn all the above stuff on linux.

Then I could donate my win2k machine to my wife.

I was curioous about peoples experiences, if any, with Suse's wine rack... Does it make things easier for windows people to use linux exclusively?

I saw another question about Wine Rack (in the Emulation forum) but there are -0- answers...

Oh yeah Null, and in my humble opinion, I think the new SuSe version with Winerack will be the best thing out there for current windows users to switch to. But don't expect all your windows programs to work with it though. Only some work, and not all of them 100% perfect. See codeweavers.com for more details on this.

Xandros is also excellent (Deluxe version comes with crossover).

Edited by Darkelve

Have you any comments on how suse works with scanners? I am about to try suse on a second machine out of curiosity. At the moment it seems more attractive than mandrake as my choice of linux didtribution has to be one that is likely to survive and be commercially viable, since Novell have taken over suse it seems a good long term prospect plus I know computer consultants I can use to set up and look after a suse system but I also like to know what's going on under the bonnet as it were (In case you are american bonnet=hood as on a car).

I work with a computer as opposed to work WITH computers and realistically spending too much time learning about linux can seriously get in the way of what for a living-mainly cos its more fun. Businesswise I am at the point where I will need a home server and things like mobile internet access and remote server access are about to become essential and certainly over the next two years I can see me using these things constantly so it is not an idle question.

Most of the microsoft orientated consultants want to just come in and set things up and don't seem too keen on me knowing what I am doing. I may be ignorant but I am not stupid and it is a patronising attitude that pisses me off. What got me interested in linux is constantly having windows crash and not knowing what is going on. I don't know what is going on with Mandrake either but at least I can take steps to find out.

I can get around most of the office software problems I have come across but the scanning side seems to be a major stumbling block

Actually I don't have very many winblows progs that I am hooked on. Mostly all I am doing these days is browsing the web, ripping & burning CDs, and burning DVDs.

I use Nero for CD burning, but if I can do the same with k3b then no prob. I haven't used k3b yet, so I hope it can do what I want. Don't need wine rack for that one anyway.

For burning DVDs, I use DVD Shrink (free winblows prog) which copies to your H-D, then use Img Tool Burn which actually burns to a blank DVD (another freeebie win prog). Hopefully, there a linux prog or 2 that can do those things, without the need for wine rack.

I was asking about Suse & Wine Rack because, if I dump winblows for good, and I decide later I want to start using Quicken or whatever, it would be nice to not need a winblows machine for that. Although I am not currently using Quicken, TurboTax or anything like that, I may decide to later.

One winblows prog that I do use is called Moneta, which is a program for Roman Coin collectors. It is fairly complex. I have communicated with the author, and he has told me it uses Borland's Database Engine and he has considered porting it to linux. He said he was not a MS lover. I can do without that program though, unless I can get it working with Wine Rack.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna buy Suse for my 2.6 distro, and buy wine rack too.

Unless I plunge into linux wholeheartedly, I'll probably never be rid of winblows.

Actually I don't have very many winblows progs that I am hooked on.  Mostly all I am doing these days is browsing the web, ripping & burning CDs, and burning DVDs.

I use Nero for CD burning, but if I can do the same with k3b then no prob.  I haven't used k3b yet, so I hope it can do what I want.  Don't need wine rack for that one anyway.

For burning DVDs, I use DVD Shrink (free winblows prog) which copies to your H-D, then use Img Tool Burn which actually burns to a blank DVD (another freeebie win prog).  Hopefully, there a linux prog or 2 that can do those things, without the need for wine rack.

I was asking about Suse & Wine Rack because, if I dump winblows for good, and I decide later I want to start using Quicken or whatever, it would be nice to not need a winblows machine for that.  Although I am not currently using Quicken, TurboTax or anything like that, I may decide to later.

One winblows prog that I do use is called Moneta, which is a program for Roman Coin collectors.  It is fairly complex.  I have communicated with the author, and he has told me it uses Borland's Database Engine and he has considered porting it to linux.  He said he was not a MS lover.  I can do without that program though, unless I can get it working with Wine Rack.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna buy Suse for my 2.6 distro, and buy wine rack too.

Unless I plunge into linux wholeheartedly, I'll probably never be rid of winblows.

I think the latest version of K3B can do just about everything Nero does. I used both, and honestly, I find K3B a LOT easier to use. I tell you I screwed up quite some ISO's cause I was confused as to how to burn them in Nero. From burning the ISO directly on a CD (like copying it), to having coasters...

I am not 100% sure, but I believe Crossover Office (included in WineRack) supports running Quicken. Check it out yourself at: http://www.codeweavers.com/

What is nice about WineRack for me, is that it gives both Crossover Office AND WineX for a serious discount. I want WineX to be able to play 'some' games. Like Morrowind, Deus Ex, Divi Dead, Max Paine, ... it doesn't have to be able to play any game I have, but any game I can get running with it is a bonus. Plus I sort of expect WineRack to have a good integration with SuSe, e.g. by placing newly installed applications into a logical place in the menu, to be easy to install and setup, etc.

If you don't care about games AT ALL, you might consider just buying crossover office. You can find a demo of it on their website. This will allow you to run some Windows productivity programs like MS Office, Photoshop, (I think) quicken... Oh and before I forget, better calculate Crossover Plugin also, which allows you to run some applications/plugins like quicktime or Windows Media Player (for .wmp formats)...

Anyway, I encourage you, before making a decision, to check out at least these websites:

http://www.codeweavers.com/site/store/?cat=cxof

http://www.codeweavers.com/site/store/?cat=cxpl

http://www.transgaming.com/

http://www.netraverse.com/

If you don't need WineX for the games, why pay for it?

From what I gather, all you would really need is Crossover Office and (perhaps) Crossover Plugin. Anyway, before you make a decision, be sure to be informed!

Oh yeah, and I understand what you say abouy pluging into Linux!! I think we are having very similar thoughts on this subject.

Darkelve

P.S. I sent a reminder on wednesday, 1 week later, but still no reply from SuSe presales team

Edited by Darkelve

I'm not really interested games, at least right now. I just read a few blurbs about wine rack and was kind of interested in it. I've been browsing this board for quite a while, even before becoming a member, and I remember alot a posts about problems with wine or winex. So I just thought Suse's Wine Rack might be less headaches and/or hassles.

I was planning to put together a new machine, but I am kind of flat right now money wise. I'm considering making my win2k machine a dual-boot when an official major distro comes out with 2.6. I really love the machine, but not win2k. It has a new Sony dual-format DVD/CD burner (DRU 510A) and it is a great Antec case, with front usb 2 and front firewire, and a 430-W PS. Its an AMD xp2000+ and has 384Mb RAM and a 40GB HD and a 2nd 200Gb HD. I suppose I'd put in an AMD barton xp2500+ and jack it up to 512Mb ram.

I went thru the k3b flash demo cybrjackle had in the previous post. Looks good, can't wait to screw around with it.

If I get a 2.6 distro up and running, I can then remove windows (but not my win data). I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions at that time, but that'll be another post.

Have to looked to see if your scanner is supported by Vuescan?

No it isn't supported at all. It's a lexmark all in one that I assumed would be supported in Linux, big mistake.

It's not a major problem as I will have to buy a multipage scanner soon anyway. I have come across scanning software that saves to PDF rather than to a proprietory database like most of them so I can make up my own filing system rather than buying it and locking in to an upgrade cycle. I have not come across similar in linux but I am sure there must be as paperless offices are not just fanciful science fiction any more but technology that will allow me to set out on my own (hooray) and if Suse and others of that ilk are serious about the business market they need to be involved. The future is not big business its all the small businesses around now and just starting that will be there for the future.

I can dual boot and will have to keep windows anyway for some things but what I don't spend on things like microsoft office I can spend on hardware which is what I intend to do. I like linux cos I can play around with the diffrent systems before making a long term commitment I just wish manufactuirers would stop supplying windows only computers.

Well, I got my answer. I'm slightly disappointed about it though. I had to wait nearly two weeks to get it, which isn't that bad I suppose, but the answer itself is, well... really SHORT! Then again, I also have moments when I just want to answer customer emails as fast as possible just to get rid of the DAMN HEAP lying around.

> 1. Will Wine Rack be available for SuSe while running

> the 2.6 kernel?

We haven't tested this. The wine rack was a

golden opportunity for the users of the 9.0. It is

sold out and so far as I know we will not offer it again.

>

> 2. When used together, do Crossover Office, Crossover

> Plugin and WineX 'play nice' together?

>

> 3. Am I entitled to the same 6-month (12 month?)

> upgrade periode I would get when buying Crossover

> seperately?

No.

>

> 4. How does Wine Rack integrate with the SuSe OS, I

> mean with regard to menu structure (like an updated

> SuSe menu when installing a new win32-application),

> configuration files, etc.

>

> 5. Slightly off-topic: when will SuSe 9.1 ship and be

> available in retail stores in Belgium?

In the end of april.

Kind regards,

SUSE PreSales-Team

doesn't look like they answered very much.

So after reading a couple of articles about wine rack, and deciding I want to check it out, they aren't offering it anymore.... that stinks. I should probably look into a different distro.

doesn't look like they answered very much.

So after reading a couple of articles about wine rack, and deciding I want to check it out, they aren't offering it anymore....  that stinks.  I should probably look into a different distro.

Seems like it yeah...

Note that you can still buy the different products Winerack consists of, well you can still buy them seperately. Does not matter which distro: Mandrake, SuSe, Red Hat, Lindows, Xandros, Debian, ... I think there are packages for all of those.

Edited by Darkelve

I was just over on distrowatch.com reading about Xandros. They say the expensive version comes with Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin. But if all Crossover Office is for is running MS apps, I don't really want it, although I do really like Excel.