How long can it takes to see the Gnome 2.6 RPMs ?

Cornellius

From Mandrake, not until after 10.0 commercial release (or whatever they want to call it) Look for them from "other sources" in the next 10 days! (At least, that is the normal type pattern!)

What do you mean ?

Can I compile the sources on www.gnome.org with ./configure, ./make && ./make install ? Or there is something else I need to do ? I've heard that Mdk don't install desktop environnments the same way of the other distros.

If I compile the package found on gnome.org and it doesn't runs too well, can I install gnome RPMs (when they'll be released) over, let's say, my compiled Gnome Desktop ? Or I should just wait for RPMs to be released ?

Edited by Cornellius

If you install the rpms as well as well as from the source, you'll probably end up with a horrible mess. You'll want to remove your own compiled version before installing rpms.

I'm sure rpms will be in cooker very soon, if not already!!

As cooker wil be turned into the mandrake official edition, it will not have gnome 2.6 for a long moment, I think.

So the best way is to install it from the sources, as decribed in gnome.org, or find the rpms for gnome 2.6 (from rpmfind, for example).

I tried to find the rpms, but it's a long process, because it seems there's no official mirror with the gnome 2.6 rpms.

Could someone who downloaded it make an URPMI public source (using genhdlist), to help users wanting to try gnome 2.6 ?

Thanks in advance !

you didn't understand : the cooker is now functionning as the "update" media that was previously (for mdk 9.1, mdk 9.2) used for bugfixes.

No new functionnalities are currently added, only bugfixes. So, as long as cooker is working that way, gnome 2.6 can be put into the mdk 10.0, it would screw up their "quality goal". I think we can expect gnome 2.6 in cooker only after the release of mdk 10.0 Official, when it will be "real" cooker, (meaning new features and not update), and after that, it will only be shipped in mdk 10.1 CE...

something i don'T understand ther is already some urpmi repository fot mdk 10 and there is also cooker.

im so confuse.

if you see on the urpmi.org/easyurpmi page there is a mdkk 10 repository with the updates, and in the cooker part there is no update sources.

thanks for your help i'm confused.