Partition problems

blackbird

Back when I had Suse 8.2, I had reiserfs, no problems with it though I didn't have it long enough to see if things would ever fall apart. Windows 98 would eventually kamikaze my system and I never reinstalled Suse. I got redhat so I could install the planet ccrma packages; redhat 9 doesn't have the option of reiserfs so I stuck it out with ext3 - never had problems till now.

I'm trying to understand the moral of the story here; I think the most obvious is backing up data, but I'm wondering after all of this, is should I junk my 2nd hard drive? Is this really due to poor hardware? If I keep it, will it happen again? What preventitive measures can I take so that my hard drives don't crap out on me?

I still have to answer yes or no to fixing the Inodes that "were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found" Any ideas? will this destroy my data?

Really if you are concerned about your hard drive being faulty, then you can go to the manufactorer's website and download utilities for checking it out.

Sounds to me like you have an ext3 problem. Worst case scenerio, swtich to reiserfs and give it a shot.. best case, figure out the ext3 problem..

thanks for helping out, although it seems that doing nothing was the method for triumph this time. See, indifference yet again prevails to an acceptable resolve :D . My precious files all seem to be here. Well, everything might not all be peachy, I haven't actually tried booting Mandrake yet, still in Redhat, but was able to mount my /home partition fine. I think ignoring e2fsck and letting the journal recover did the trick actually, idk. I remember opening a terminal window in redhat and trying e2fsck -b 32768 /dev/hdb7 or something and just left it at that :huh: ... I'm kinda confused.... but happy that everything is fine (at least on the surface). I will back up my data for sure, and install that Seagate utility just to make sure that my drive is a safe place for my 1s and 0s.

Do you think tarring the /home dir(partition) to a different drive is as good as tarring the whole system (/ and /home) to a different drive? Right now I could do the /home to a cd or dvd but not if doing the whole system. I guess my real question is "how hard is it to do a recovery in the advent of a data failure using a backup of the whole system versus a /home backup. (how easy is it to set the permissions on a newly created user to a restore of a folder).