XF86Config-4 gets changed on reboot

Dr. Ephemeron

After installing some updates to mandrake 10, when I reboot, the stock "nv" drivers load.

I check XF86Config-4 and Load "glx" is commented out like this: # Load "glx" and Driver "nvidia" is changed back to Driver "nv".

If I edit it and change it back, then logout and type startx again, it works fine, no error messages.

When I reboot, login, startx again, the lines are changed again. :wall:

Anyone have an idea what's going wrong? It worked fine for a few weeks and some updates changed something for the bad.

Thanks

After installing some updates to mandrake 10, when I reboot, the stock "nv" drivers load.

I check XF86Config-4 and Load "glx" is commented out like this: # Load "glx" and Driver "nvidia" is changed back to Driver "nv".

If I edit it and change it back, then logout and type startx again, it works fine, no error messages.

When I reboot, login, startx again, the lines are changed again.  :wall:

Anyone have an idea what's going wrong? It worked fine for a few weeks and some updates changed something for the bad.

Thanks

Same here. In the end, it was harddrake starting up as a service. I guess it re-recognised my GFFX and went all, like, yay! Hardware I can provide a driver for! woohoo!

Check whether the issue disappears if you uncheck harddrake in drakxservices. In general, some of the latest bugfixes produced more troubles for me than they solved. I am seriously considering falling back to 9.2, especially because of the "new" draktools and friends. I mean, well ...

Grief with scannerdrake

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

I stopped harddrake starting up on boot and that stopped it.

I also noticed that I couldn't run glxgears as user because updates made it so reboots was chmod 600 /dev/nvidia* and it should be 666. I had to edit /etc/security/console.perms to fix it.

Thanks! :D

Edited by Dr. Ephemeron

You guys are great :)

I'm a newbie and have been battling this problem the past couple of days, and this is definitely a bug due to an update, I'd think, as I'm seeing the exact same thing. I decided a reinstall of the nvidia drivers might be in order, and in doing some reading up to reinstall them, noticed there was a new kernel available. (2.6.3-7 or some such, from memory). I grabbed it, grabbed it's source, configured Lilo to use it as the default kernel, and then reinstalled the nVidia drivers.

Thats when I realised the problem all along was that my XF86Config-4 being overwritten at boot.

Just popped in here to see if anyone else was having the same problem, and now I find the fix waiting here patiently for me to read ;)

Another work around, and the one that I've been using thus far, is to let the system load, su to root, use editor of choice to edit and save the updated XF86Config-4 file and then init 3 ,then init 5. System would work flawlessly that way and load the correct drivers (as Harddrake is already loaded I guess, and not looking for new hardware at that point). It's a pain, but does work.

Edit: How can I tell if someone has submitted this to Mandrake in a bug report? I looked at the FAQ but didn't see anything about submitting bugs, etc...

Edited by electragician

I was having the same problem so I disabled the harddrake service and that fixed the driver issue. But now my stupid mouse doesnt work and for some reason I cant seem to navagate around with the keyboard.

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace does work to restart X. Whats the keyboard shortcut for stopping X ?

Thanks. I was able to stop X and run XFdrake. This fixed the mouse problem... temporarily. After restarting X everything was working fine so I rebooted to test if it would happen again and sure enough after the reboot my mouse goes dead again. Grrrr...

Anyone have any ideas when Mandrake will have a fix for that fix?

:unsure: So disabling harddrake doesn't fix the problem for everyone? :unsure:

It fixed my nvidia driver issue, but breaks my mouse.

What I did:

1) boot with my current kernel (2.6.3). At the command prompt, run # service harddrake start. Now, it will complain about my mouse. Instead of that Universal Bus Mouse setting it suggests, I chose the "Wheel" mouse setting I used to run my 2.4 kernels on.

2) check the XF86Config-4. In my case, Mandrake assumed I had a 7 button mouse (don't ask me why) and mapped the scrollweel to 6 7 rather than 4 5. That's easily enough changed, as are the two lines to get my NV board back to using its "real" drivers.

That was that.

-Sascha.rb

Here is the fix now:

Edit the file "/usr/share/harddrake/service_harddrake".

row 24, col. 103 should read:

qw(NVdriver nvidia.ko))

The n is missing from "nvidia.ko"

In XF86Config-4, change back "nv" to "nvidia" and make sure Load "glx" is not commented out. :D

Edited by Dr. Ephemeron