Mozilla 1.6

zed994

Hey all, :lol:

after succesffuly dual booting Mandrake 9.2 and Windows XP, i am having trouble getting Mozilla 1.6 which i downloaded to function properly, i ran the tar.gz file through the console as outlined on the site ( i am newbie), and then it all installed, but following the installation many things are happening/not happening.

a) Mozilla 1.6 does not come up on the KDE menu

b)On following a link from the desktop etc... for example, right clicking on profile in amsn i get the error.... (along these lines) "mozilla $url check preferences"

can anyone tell me how to configure Mozilla well etc ad fix the mozilla $url problem, thankyou

Zed

a ) start > system > configuration > configure your coputer > system > menu (opt for system menu) > internet > add a launcher, choose a name for the launcher and in the command box put /usr/bin/mozilla, choose an icon and save, the laucher should be there in your menu.

B) I use gaim and never succeeded in loading my browser clicking on a link.(I use mozilla firefox), so I copy and paste in the browser' s address bar.

Good luck.

you might have to manually add the Mozilla shortcut to the KDE menu after the tar.gz installation. it's been a while since in installed 1.6, so i forget now.

to do so, right click on the kicker K, choose "menu editor", in the left panel drill down to "networking->WWW" & check if the old Mozilla shortcut is still there. if it isn't, click the "add application" button. for "title", name it what you like (Mozilla, Mozilla1.6, Moz, etc.). for "command", put in the complete path to the Mozilla executable. if it's a normal install, it should be /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla. your path may differ, depending on where you installed it to, but the above path is the default if you didn't use any special install flags. choose an icon for it, then click the "save" button. it will take a few seconds to save the changes, then close menu editor. if the shortcut doesn't appear in the KDE menu, restart KDE. if the shortcut to your old Mozilla would still be in the menu editor, just check to make sure the path is correct & adjust as neccessary.

to add a desktop shortcut for Moz, it's a similar process. right click the desktop, choose "create new"->"link to application", then fill in the blanks with the same info as you did above for the KDE menu.

Chris

when you click on the icon to change it, choose the "system icons" button, then change the type to "applications" & scroll down a bit. it's part of the stock icon set.

Chris

Here's what you do: Install mozilla from the mandrake CDs, then install 1.6, then look for a topic I put earlier on fixing the menus and stuff to the new one...I'm looking for it ATM actually, so I'll edit this when I find it...I mean, the other stuff will work too, but I personally have never been able to get menudrake to work...so...

Also, this will update anything that used mozilla before...

[edit]

here's the topic: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...mozilla+mdk10.0

here's what you do:

OK, I'm assuming you installed it in the default directory which is /usr/local/mozilla so to run it you need to cd to this directory and then type ./mozilla in a terminal.

To make the new version of mozilla run from all your mozilla menu items then you need to link to the /usr/bin directory and replace the existing mozilla binary. Let's rename the old binary so its still there and you can run either version but the default is the new one. Run the following in a terminal

CODE

<!--QuoteEBegin-->su<!--QuoteEBegin-->mv /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla-old<!--QuoteEBegin-->ln -s /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla<!--QuoteEBegin-->

Now when you run mozilla from a terminal or click on a mozilla icon you should launch your new version.

Edited by Urza9814