how can I edit ./configure scripts?

alexpank

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to extricate myself from dependency hell while installing Gaim 0.75 on Mandrake 9.0, for which I (apparently) need glib. I'm trying to do it from source codes for reasons that I can't remember any more... :screwy:

Anyway, when I run ./configure, I get this:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr//bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
<snip>
checking for pkg-config... /usr//bin/pkg-config
configure: error: *** pkg-config too old; version 0.14 or better required.

Now, observant readers would have noticed that it's looking for pkg-config in /usr//bin/, not /usr/bin/. Is there any way I can set things to rights on this?

TIA,

Alex

(still at newbie level, I'm afraid)

Shoudln't make any difference - the double slash just means somewhere under this directory - maybe at a deeper level. /usr//bin is essentially the same as /usr/bin

It looks like you need to upgrade pkg-config. Not sure if that's a seperate package or part of something else

Yeah, that was what I thought as well, so I upgraded pkg-config to v. 0.14, and it still came up with the same thing, even after rebooting. From what I found so far, I can't upgrade to the latest version (0.15) without upgrading GLIBC (2.2 --> 2.3), which I'm very wary of doing, from reading other posts on this site. :unsure:

I'm trying to do it from source codes for reasons that I can't remember any more...

like phunni said, the double forward slash (//) just means it's looking some place under that directory. you can try getting the latest version of pkg-config HERE .

or, as i quoted you above, don't bother with the source install. try the easy method & go to the following link for a Mandrake RPM of the latest version of GAIM .

Chris

Like I said, I upgraded pkg-config to version 0.14 (I think I was on 0.12 before that), which should keep it happy, but doesn't. I tried to get 0.15 working, but it needs GLIBC 2.3 (surprise, surprise).

Also, I did try the official RPM from sourceforge, but it also tells me very politely that I need to have version 2.3 of GLIBC. I'm guessing that this is the version in Mdk 9.1 and onwards?

but it also tells me very politely that I need to have version 2.3 of GLIBC. I'm guessing that this is the version in Mdk 9.1 and onwards?

unfortunately.......yeah.

my bad.......i forgot you are using mdk9.0. may i ask why? no offense, but you might want to think about upgrading to mdk9.2. it's very painless to do & it's very stable. just get all the updates, fixes, etc. after installing. and, if you decide to go that route, i'd say try the upgrade option instead of a clean install. while others have disdain for upgrade over fresh install, i've never hd a problem with it. it's a matter of choice/opinion i suppose. worst case scenerio with upgrade is that it wouldn't work so you'd have to do the clean install anyway. i'd suggest just backing up your /home directory, just in case something would go wrong with upgrade, or if you do a clean install. that way you have all your personal settings & files & you can use them where needed if you have to by copying them into your new /home directory.

good luck.....

Chris

Well, um, this is kind of embarrassing, but I got onto Mandrake Linux through my uncle, who installed it onto a computer for me from CDs off a computer mag (he gave me the computer with it already on it), and I just got to using it all the time now. The problem with upgrading is that I'm on a dial-up internet connection, and I'm in the sticks, so just downloading upgrades would probably take an obscene amount of time. I was considering buying the CDs for MDK10 when it comes out, and installing it, though.

Actually, just re-reading through the above, I've made an assumption that there's stacks of stuff to download when upgrading Mdk. Is there really that much? If it's not too much, I could just do it overnight or something, I guess. How much would it be, roughly speaking?

Alex

well...........

if your stuck with dial up, you're in for a long night. and day.........

both mdk9.1 & 9.2 are 3 iso's (3 cd's) with each being around 650megs (plus or minus a few megs). then, you're gonna need the security updates, bug fixes, etc. not sure of the total, but for mdk9.2 it's easily 400megs worth by now, if not more.

soooo......... you can either bite the bullet, start the iso downloads, walk away from your computer for a long while, then install, get updates & walk away from your computer for another long while, hoping & praying that your connection don't die during the process. or, if you can find somebody with broadband (a friend, family member, etc.) you can at least get the iso's rather quickly & then you'll only have to sit through the updates. or, as you said, you can just sit tight until 10.0 is official & buy it.

Chris

*sigh* Just as I suspected... Curse you, dial-up connection! Oh well, thanks for your help anyway, Chris.

I think I'm just going to have to wait for Mdk 10 to come out before I can use MSN Messenger on Linux, unless anyone else can think of something in the meantime...

Alex :cry:

There are more programs than gaim ... what are you using kde or gnome ? (Just for integration ... nothing more, I suppose you have the nexessary libs anyway).

(I also foudn it annoying that I had to update a lot just to install a newer package when still using 9.1...). It is nice to have broadband with linux all the programs there are. It's nice... sorry ...:). anyway you can install a downloadmanager if needed with resume functions. You have kget for konqueror I believe and also for the others I suppose. So you can download piece by piece if wanted.)

Let's see if this helps you.. but if this versions didn't have new msn-support than..it won't work I suppose. What you could try (but this isn't supported in gaim yet ....: the browing that is. I think it is needed, not sure though, maybe not in an easy way :)) is create a jabber-account (this is an opensource messenger protocol) and use a proxy to msn. With jabber you can connect to other networks through proxies).

For kde (also gnome if you have qt-libs installed ..) you can try "psi". It's a good client. Throught the browsing support of jabber you can find a proxy. Here's the jabber site. For gnoem ther eis gnome jabber which is good I believe. There are some ways to have msn :). The good thing is that the proxies take care of the msn-protcol..so if it changes, it's the proxy taht has to change, not your client normally. Jabber website (they have a list of client-programs ..Servers also if you are intested maybe :) and a list of servers you can connect/register) ..the best is tkjabber I suppose (most features at the moment I looked: hoep I looked ok :), a lot anyway) which even has whiteboard support ..isn't official but coming I believe:

http://www.jabber.org/

the clients for linux: http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.php...?Platform=linux

(don't forget java programs and python, ... also work on linux ... )

servers you can register login too: http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php

btw it's good to read the small doc... Anyway the most important thing is the priority stuff I think...you can have mutliple clients connected at teh same time: home or work, ... and dependent on the priority, the messages get routed to that client.

The serverlist also showw what the capabilities ar eof a server... you don't have to register with a server to use their possibilities ... Just register witgh a server (done from in the program you use ...) and you can use the browing of jabber to go to any server and see what it offers and register for a service ..like msn-proxy...

Hopes this helps some.

Now for the real messenger stuff:

for kde you also have kmess, kopete.

for gnome..gaim is the mosy known I suppose, but it only uses the gtk-libraries not really a gnome-program, but most related to gnome. You also have ayttm:

The program has a spinoff which is a rebuild of ayttm to make the code more nice for using different front-ends (just some info)

http://ayttm.sourceforge.net/

Not to forget!! (but I don't like it so much ..I like gaim the most :)).

amsn ... the binary is also packaged in a tar.gz-package...just download the binary package. Unpack it and go into the unpacked directory and type ./amsn or sh ./amsn or something like that:

I see they have redone the website and packages are now also distributed as rpm's ..whch can work and you shoudl try those first if possible :) .. Anyway a (almost)up-to-date version can be found here in tar.gz-format:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...?group_id=54091

(it's the "other downlaods and packages"-section on their download-page)

Edited by Michel

Thanks for your help and advice, Michel (but not for gloating about having braodband... grr...) I installed amsn, after trying to get all the others to work, and it's going great!! Thank heavens, too, cos Windows 2k on this machine has just gone weird... (or should that be weirdER)...

Thanks again to everyone else on this thread too -- it taught me a bit about how Linux treats files and stuff :)

Quick postscript to this:

I was reading the README that came with pkg-config (what a strange thing to do), which said that it installed to /usr/local/bin/, which might possibly explain why glib couldn't find it.

Duh!

Alex @ when all else fails, read the instructions...

Quick postscript to this:

I was reading the README that came with pkg-config (what a strange thing to do), which said that it installed to /usr/local/bin/, which might possibly explain why glib couldn't find it.

Duh!

Alex @ when all else fails, read the instructions...

that shouldn't have mattered but you can check with

[root@localhost root]# echo $PATH
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
[root@localhost root]#

The easiest way to avoid this is to add --prefix=/usr to ./configure

./configure --prefix=/usr

Be warned.....if you do this with a tarball/source with a sys pkg like glib you could end up with no sys upon reboot.

If you need to link libs installed to /usr/local/* use /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig

Edited by bvc

Hmm, this might have been the best thing to do, in hindsight, Qchem. That way it would only have been able to find the new one, instead of finding the old one and spitting the dummy. Anyway, like I said, I'm happily using aMSN (I only wanted to use MSN in any case), so it's academic.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this -- I'm sure I'll need to use some of this again at some stage!

Alex