Making new user command?

Maybe it's a X-less server he is administrating, so no graphical configurator whatsoever.

Anyway, the command for deleting users is userdel

There are also groupadd and groupdel to manage the groups.

Thats why i mentioned that he could try webmin if there was no X, if there was another networked computer with a browser on it of course.

you mean someone can install and run a server and not have the knowledge/ability to search either google or their hd/os/files with a search tool to find this info out? You're kidding??? You just gotta be. :P

Welcome to the world of windows administration ;)

you mean someone can install and run a server and not have the knowledge/ability to search either google or their hd/os/files with a search tool to find this info out? You're kidding??? You just gotta be. :P

Welcome to the world of windows administration ;)

I know, I see it all the time :lol:

Hello,

Is there a command you can run as root to make a new user on a system from the command line?

-Neocytrix

Despite your question has been answered already, I'm going to give you some hints you should know in order to move yourself comfortably in a GNU/Linux file system:

• man is your friend. To know all about the manual pages run the command 'man man'.
  • info is your friend too. Run 'info info' to see what that tool can do for you.
  • when you want to know about bash builtins (that is commands that belong to bash interface, then help is your friend. More in 'help help'
  • Ofcourse www.google.com is mandatory resource too.

• Commands that you should be fammiliar with in order to surf at pleasure in linux (not in order):
  • grep/egrep/fgrep ...l
  • vim
  • [less / more ...
  • BASH
  • apropos
  • awk / gawk / nawk ...
  • cat
  • tee
  • find

Now some advanced tricks that should help you in finding information in your own system.

• [-] apropos:
    I want to know what command allows me to add a new user in the system

The strightforward way:

~$ apropos add | grep  new | grep  user | grep -v 3
useradd              (8)  - Create a new user or update default new user information
~$

• So the command I was looking for was useradd.

The purist way:

~$ apropos add | egrep '.[ ]{2}[^3]*(new.*user|user.*new)'
useradd              (8)  - Create a new user or update default new user information
~$

• man apropos and man grep to see what does each command and how

[-] grepping the documentation that is already in your system (when apropos and hence man fails):

~$ man konsole
No manual entry for konsole
~$
~$ DOC_DIR=/usr/share/doc/
~$ grep -lR 'konsole' $DOC_DIR | less
<... list of document files containing the term 'konsole' ...>
~$

• You can refine the search to the limit you'll find useful.

Hope this will help you in the future and let you learn more about this wanderfull system called GNU/Linux.

Ofcourse WE (www.mandrakeusers.org) are the BEST resource for learning and having fun with GUN/Linux :thumbs: