Mandrake 10C CD-ROM Issues

crock

No matter how hard I try, if I try to use a CD in Mandrake 10C - under the KDE desktop - , the system locks hard. For instance:

1. I've tried to install OpenOffice from the install cd's and it allows the cd to mount on the desktop, but then it begins to copy the files and it just hangs.

2. I've tried getting some drivers off of a CD I created in 9.2. (I figured it might be a problem with the nForce2 drivers, so I was going to rpm --rebuild...etc). It mounts the cd on the desktop fine, then I open it and begin to transfer the files from the CD to the desktop (or home directory) and it fails. Another hard lock.

I've tried the CD in both Windows XP and MDK 9.2 and it works fine with them.

I've downloaded the MDK 10C cd's 3 times, each with a perfect checksum.

The only thing I haven't tried was to 'rpm --rebuild' from the command line for the nForce2 drivers.

Do you think this is a problem with MagicDev?

Could it be motherboard drivers?

Looking for some input...

MagicDev has been working for me. I would try to re do the drivers, and then turn off the auto mount stuff. I know that Supermount always messed up my system, and I never used it long term. So far, MagicDev has been better for me.

That's what I'm thinking, maybe use the command line and get those drivers in there. MagicDev just looks so much more professional than supermount, and I really don't wanna give up on it yet.

Then again, I could just wait til Final rolls around and see where that takes me.

My sys doesn't lock but all apps do. It's not just magicdev but also devfs/kernel. Utter confusion. My first install was fixable, the second won't work at all. Neither dvd player or cdrw work unless I uninstall magicdev, make /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd syminks and use supermount. Then burning still doesn't work. Hope they fix it becasue I do think magicdev can be better than supermount, so I wait, and use debian in the meantime.

Interesting. I have no problems. I did have a problem with my USB printer not being detected, but I got that fixed with the acpi=off noapic.

I didn't need any setup for K3B, and I just got done copying 2 CDs from 9.1 Powerpack and burning the 3 10.0 CE ISOs.

My hardware for this topic:

Gigabyte GA-7N400-L Nforce2 motherboard

NEC ND-2500A CD/DVD+ - R/RW burner (8X)

No lockups, and I have not done any updates. I guess this is a mixed results, depending on your hardware.

Oh, I don't have the option to turn off PlugNPray in my BIOS.

:thumbs:

Installed 10-CE again>got the updates>all is well

:headbang:

oh, I guess I should also add that I disabled harddrake at the end of the install in the Summary screen>Services. D/k if that helps it's just something I've done for a long time because I think it's the worst app ml has ever implimented. Getting better though I guess but I never need it.

Edited by bvc