Novell loves Linux

Darkelve

Perhaps Symantec...wait...their products would be useless on Linux  :P

ROFLMAO!

That said, did you know one of the services Lindows offers (also to home users, if I understand correctly) is SurfSafe, a kind of VIRUS SCANNER?

I always wondered why.

Ahhh, with Novell releasing Groupwise and its Netware stuff for linux this is a *huge* and I say HUGE boost for Linux.

Many many businesses and schools especially here run Novell's Groupwise, Netware and Zenworks on their networks.

I can just imagine my school moving to linux.......................................................................

It could happen sometime with this support..

iphitus

Perhaps Symantec...wait...their products would be useless on Linux  :P

ROFLMAO!

That said, did you know one of the services Lindows offers (also to home users, if I understand correctly) is SurfSafe, a kind of VIRUS SCANNER?

I always wondered why.

I think surfsafe is the kiddi surf stuff but they also offer a virus checker.

Why not ?

If you were a cholera carrier would it be OK to walk round infecting others just because you are immune ?

OK, in this case the 'others' are people who dio this through choice...

but many universities for instance insist on a virus scanner in order to let you use the univ network... even if you dont scan anything ... ????

"It's a new day, a new dawn, for Novell. And it's not just Novell saying it. It's the people who support Novell, who build their business lives around Novell, who are enjoying the return of new light and life to an old company."

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1553923,00.asp

Groklaw's coverage of Brainshare event

(I recommend watching the Real video feed starting from 01:08:00 :P ):

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2...040324085956154

http://www.novell.com/brainshare/keynotes2004.html

Edited by zero0w

Here's a thought:

IBM is 'using' Novell as a kind of a battering ram for Desktop Linux. They do not want to take the risk of going that direction for fear it will fail for them. They also do not want to miss out on it. No doubt they have seen the leverage Micro$ofts monopoly on the desktop has given them in other areas such as server etc. and fear this. They also realize this probably means getting in the race with Longhorn's release.

So they cannot afford to sit idle and wait. Enter Novell: a taning company with a lot of IT expertise that has to change directions or face the consequences. Linux is ideally suited to complement their offerings. They acquire SuSe and Ximian to fill in the missing pieces and get help from IBM in the form of funding.

IBM benefits since it does not have to take risks itself, but can see where this goes and hop on the bandwagon when they see fit. Already Linux runs on most of their hardware and they provide services for that.

Novell benefits since they get lots of publicity and recognition. At the same time, their approach makes perfect sense for their corporate offerings. Perhaps they are/were reluctant with regard to the desktop part, but agree with IBM to go through with it. Through contacts with SuSe people, the enthousiasm catches on to Novell, providing even more fuel for the plan.

At Brainshare, the decision to run the entire event on Linux desktops especially is an omen IMhO.

So all pieces of the puzzle are in place now and they are ready for a full frontal assault on M$'s desktop domination.

So the snowball is already rolling, but it would be better to let it grow big enough to completely crush M$ with it. Like preparing to launch pre-loaded PC's with Linux combined with a massive ad campaign a couple of months before Longhorn is released...

... oh yeah, and CONSUMERS benefit since the offered computers should be vastly cheaper than the Microsoft ones.

(back to reality)

Ok, so maybe I am dreaming... but I don't see why this couldn't be successful

Edited by Darkelve

From a comment on Slashdot: SCO got 50M$ from MS, now Novell got 50M$ from IBM. That's a message right there.

I can't help it, it just makes me laugh :D

lol aRtee... you're sure it's not a coincidence?

EV1 (server company) took a license from SCO. But SCO said the amount paid was 7 figures... Ev1 was really furious 'cause it was way less but they didn't say how much, I suspect they agreed with SCO not to reveal it.

My suggestion was: give a donation to Linux (e.g. kernel development or the like) for the exact same amount they licensed... to give people a cluestick. Creative solutions are so nice some times ;)

Like Opera did: if you cannot fight with money, fight with humor. Often much more deadly :D

Edited by Darkelve