what is worng with mandrake 10 community?

j1121210

I tried to install community on my rig yesterday. It gave me some junk that my lan card did not work and also my sound card.

my system:

Abit motherboard IC7 with 2.8 Ghz P4 1mb cache

1GB Dual channel DDR 400 HyperX

HDD: 80 gig wd 8mb cache

lan: 3com 10/100 card (I am not sure of exact model number)

sound card: SB Audigy

Video: Powercolor ATI 9800 SE

On my other system Linux seemed to install fine and work well for a long time.

Soyo KT600 plus with amd xp 2500+ unlocked @ 2.1Ghz 400FSB

256mb stick of corsar ram

same 80GIG (as above)

onboard lan

SB live value

voodoo Banshee

One of the reasons why I tried to upgrade to 10 was that I totally messed up with installing the ati drivers for the 9800 card on my p4. mandrake 9.2 only wanted to use a default vesa video card driver.

Is it just my configuration of my hardware or just mandrake that is screwing me up?

Guest Danomatic

Use the SK98LIN driver for your 3Com Ethernet. You'll get a [FAILED] notice on boot but don't worry about it... the card will work just fine.

Download the latest ATI drivers (3.7.6 I believe) and install them from a text login as ROOT. Do not have an X server running. NOTE: You'll need the source kernel installed before performing this step. It's on one of your install CD's. You can use Mandrake's software installer from KDE or GNOME.

It's also best to print out ATI's installation instructions for reference. The install should be very straightforward though. You'll get some errors but just follow the instruction on screen and you'll be fine.

I've had no problems with an ABIT IS7-G with 3Com Ethernet and a Radeon 9600 Pro. Runs UT2004SE well.

To be more specific, my audigy audio card is failing to work properly using the emu10k2 drivers. The sk98lin drivers did not work on my 3com ethernet card. My system tells me that I have a 3c905c-tx [fast etherlink] card. On startup the lan card fails to load properly. I think that my audigy card works ok on startup, but when in kde, it does not want to play any sounds.

any help would be appreciated.

My videocard works fine with mandrake 10.

Edited by j1121210

Use the SK98LIN driver for your 3Com Ethernet.  You'll get a [FAILED] notice on boot but don't worry about it... the card will work just fine.

Download the latest ATI drivers (3.7.6 I believe) and install them from a text login as ROOT.  Do not have an X server running.  NOTE: You'll need the source kernel installed before performing this step.  It's on one of your install CD's.  You can use Mandrake's software installer from KDE or GNOME.

It's also best to print out ATI's installation instructions for reference.  The install should be very straightforward though.  You'll get some errors but just follow the instruction on screen and you'll be fine.

I've had no problems with an ABIT IS7-G with 3Com Ethernet and a Radeon 9600 Pro.  Runs UT2004SE well.

afaik (from cooker mailing list) the FAILED is as a result of setting the network hotplugging setting. Unchecking it in drakconnect supposedly fixes the problem.

I haven't bothered trying because it works fine anyways.

I suspect that the problem with network card configuration failing is in mii-tools. This program seems to be used by the hotplugging code (although I never did finish going through the tangle of network scripts to see exactly how it all works). Setting the MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes in a cards /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth? script also makes the boot problem go away (it disables the hotplug section of the script). Running mii-tool from the command line should report information on a NIC's settings, but only returns errors on my system. My system configures correctly with MII_NO_SUPPORTED set so I haven't taken this any further.

I got my audigy working by tweaking some settings. Illogic-al was right in that all that was wrong with my lan card was the hot swappable setting. thanks for all your help.

I have another minor problem , how do you set your audigy to get XMMS working properly?

how do you set your audigy to get XMMS working properly?

Not sure if this is what your looking for, but,

there seems to be a bug...

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=12260

I just made a icon for xmms on my desktop using command xmms (the one in menu uses soundwrapper xmms instead ).

Edited by scoopy

Download the latest version of XMMS. I think it is 1.2.10 from memory.

The Mandrake10 used the 1.2.9 ( I think the 2 is correct but I am only going on memory because I am not in Mandrake at the moment) The .9 version had the fault and it is fixed in .10 It may still only be in tar form at the moment on the XMMS.ORG website but it is pretty easy to install anyhow.

Otherwise just right click on the XMMS icon and click Properties. Look for the word SOUNDWRAPPER and delete it but NOTHING ELSE. Then close out. You should see it being saved automatically. This should see you through till you get the updated version