Switching vid card from PCI to AGP

Pepse

I think my nVidia MX400 PCI is failing me and all I have laying around is an nVidia TNT 2 32meg AGP card. I am VERY apprehensive about running AGP cards in Linux as there always seems to be problems with AGP. The situation now is that I upgraded my mobo from a Tyan Trinity 400 w/Intel 600 mhz CPU to a Tyan Trinity KT-A running a AMD 1.33 Ghz skt A chip. Everything else from the old board is on my new board. At first I was leery about changing mobo's but it surprised me that it worked; smooothly. Anyway since that change last Tuesday the only 2 hiccups I have are the video card and full modem. And I am not sure if my video problem is the card going bad or something with my system, because I went from Intel to AMD. The situation is that every so often the screen winks out, and I know it is not the monitor. Plus last Saturday I was gone for about 10 hours and I shut the monitor off before I left and when I came back and turned the monitor on the screen was a jumbled mess of streaking colors like a bad choice of drivers when setting up "X". I did a hard reboot and everything came back up like nothing ever happened. So, I actually have 2 dilemmas: Is the kernel freaking because of the CPU change or is it my video card. The card is about 2 years old. It is a PNY. I am running MDK 9.1 PowerPack. And if it is thought to be my vid card then we bring that issue of AGP hassles. In the near future I plan on getting an MSI/nVidia 128 meg AGP card, but like I say the endless hassles with AGP makes me leery.

Pepse.

What do you mean by "winks out" (is that like a *poof*) ? Which kernel are your running ? And what for nVidia version?

I am curious because of my situation (I am currently using a tnt2 32 meg AGP card):

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=12564

I had no problems till 10 CE with this card. Just slow frame rates. And right now, all seems well.