MDK 10 Install

Spill

I'm attempting to install onto a PIII 700 Celeron; 13 GB HD; CD; 256 SDRam; TNT2 video.

I've tried installing 4 times - and it seems to get through the install fine; even the initial user setup - and default screen loads up. With KDE, is says its loaded...but hangs at 85% - only key combination that I've had work is Ctrl-Sys Rq-B which boots and brings me right back to 85% and hang. When I tried Gnome, first try got a white bar at the top; and the rest of the screen was blue, second time I got the white bar at the top and bottom; blue in the middle...no icons, menus, buttons, nothing; again only the reboot key combo works.

Any ideas? I'm temped to try Redhat 9.2 and see if that works any better...

Thanks in advance...

Welcome to the board!

When it hangs, how long before you intervene? The first boot into kde sets up several files, and if there is any network issues, it can seem to take forever. Would you try booting into a very light wm, like icewm? With the instalation of x, it is usually also installed. Select it, boot into it, and report back with the results.

Also, do you have any usb devices or perhaps a zip disk?

Zip drive isn't connected - keyboard and mouse are USB - going through a powered USB Hub. I've left the KDE thing for an hour...and nothing.

Haven't tried icewm...will try that next...have to reinstall...or is there a way to change it once already installed? I'm completely new to Linux...though I did use Unix in university...was a few years ago though...

Anyways...I'll report back once I get it installed and I'll try icewm.

Thanks.

I also wanted to add that there have been around 700mb of updates, with some packages updated 2-3 times. I myself have had trouble with the 2.6.x kernel, until today's update to 2.6.3-7mdk. So, perhaps if icewm works, you should immediately update everything. (While kde has been heavily updated, the tools have also been updated, so do those first.)

I had the same problem.

I disabled sgi_fam service in xinetd and turned on usb service. I always install webmin to be able to do these things even if the X is misbehaving.

Hope this helps. This was trial and error discovery, now every time I pop in new Mandrake I just follow mentioned procedure and after first KDE launch half-hour wait all consequent launces are fast.

Welcome and congrats on getting a GUI,

Also, how do I do the updates?  Is there a how to somewhere that I can read to get a brief overview?

Here's my brief overview (remember I am not responsible for any broken systems :P )

start up:

System --> Configuration --> Packaging --> Software Media Manager

you will log in with root password

click "Add"

check FTP server and fill in some blanks:

Name: <any name>

Path: <ftp://some.server.com/Mandrake-devel/stable/i586/Mandrake/RPMS.cooker/>

hdlist: <../base/hdlist.cz>

click "OK" and you will see it examine the source and download the hdlist in rpmdrake

then you should be able to go to

System --> Configuration --> Packaging --> Install Software

and be able to select "All packages, by update availability"

What's webmin? How do I get it?
Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.