Porting Games

liquidzoo

I have a couple of games for Windows that I know have been ported over to Linux (SoF, Railroad Tycoon 2, SC3K)

My question is this: Is there any way to get these games to run natively in Linux? I don't want to use Wine, and I'd rather not buy the games again, seeing as I have them already. If anyone knows of a way to do this, I would really appreciate the info. I have looked for the Linux installers, but I can't find them anywhere.

You may already know this. Several games run natively in Linux:

Quake I, II, III

RTCW

Aliens Versus Predator Gold

Unreal, UT, UT GOTY, UT2003

Doom

Hexen

Tactical Ops

You may want to try these.

Each of these games has a special Linux set of execution files. Data is simply copied over from the Windows version.

If an application can run on Wine a native version is surely possible. I guess its a mater ofinding someone with the skill and will to do them.

I already have RTCW, Quake 3, UT, Tac Ops, and UT2003 I was just looking to expand my games. I think I got SoF working, just installed the demo from Loki and copied the .pak files over, but that won't work with Railroad Tycoon 2, which was also ported to Linux by Loki, so it also runs natively. I'm just trying to see if anyone out there has turned the demo into the full version by copying files from a windows install.

I tried that with SoF before, but it didn't like it when I went to higher resolutions... Not sure why.

BTW, you should really buy the games, as they aren't expensive most places, and it's going to count as a Linux sale.

That's true, I was hoping to avoid having to buy a game that I have already, but I think I will end up doing so. The only place around here I'm going to find it is ebay, so I don't think it officially counts as a linux purchase.

As far as SoF goes, I haven't had any problems yet, I will give it another try when I get home from work and see if it works. I had changed the resolution with the demo and had no problems with it when I copied the .pak files over. I thought copying the .pak files would work with Railroad Tycoon 2 as well, but the executable is different from the demo to the full version so it tells me that it can't find the files when I try to start it up. Oh well. We'll see what I can find.

RTCW, Quake 3, UT, Tac Ops, and UT2003...WHOOAH

All I got is RTCW and Quake II. How is Tac Ops? I was thinking of picking up this one than read that official support for the Linux version had been dropped. Is it good enough as is? Any bugs?

Need something to tide me over till Neverwinter Nights is Done.

I just downloaded the zipped mod for UT, there is a config file that you need to overwrite to enable it to work for Linux, but it works great. I love it. Haven't played it much lately, simply because I bought UT2003 and started playing RTCW again; but it is still a classic game, well worth it.

Now if I could only find a place around here that sells Linux games I would be set.

SimCity 3000 (you'll need to patch before it will run) can't be made to run from the Win disks, you must purchase the native version. Same with Descent 3 from what I understand.

Now Quake 3 Arena, Unreal, Unreal Tournament 2003, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the upcomming Neverwinter Nights, Freespace 2, and a handful of others can be run from the Win disks by downloading a point release or a port done by either the company or hobbyists.

Terminus, if you can find it, has Win, Mac and Linux executables on the disk (and patches are available).

RTCW, Quake 3, UT, Tac Ops, and UT2003...WHOOAH

All I got is RTCW and Quake II. How is Tac Ops? I was thinking of picking up this one than read that official support for the Linux version had been dropped. Is it good enough as is? Any bugs?

Need something to tide me over till Neverwinter Nights is Done.

There is a partial listing here: http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/articles/gamelist.php

That list currently only holds the games that you can download binaries or source code for. I'm gonna work on a list, maybe, of games that you can get natively that don't use the Windows CD.

Anyhow, if you wanna see my desktop, here it is: http://aslan.no-ip.com/~dana/img/desktop20021124.png

Notice my icons. :)

http://www.happypenguin.org

There is a lot of games listed on that site that are either free, commercial, or shareware; all that run on Linux. That site was the reason I tried to get RT2 and SoF working from the disks I have, plus the demos of each.

And By the way Relic2k, I do own the cd and have a valid cd key for SoF; and it seems to be working just fine for me the way I did it.

I see your point, I have done the same with Quake 3 and Q3A TA once upon a time in a galaxy so far away. In the early days of of Linux gaming. Except the Quake 3 Demo and .pak files worked for me. I didn't not enjoy do it, but Linux games were not cheap back then either.

Another good URL for Linux native games is

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/

Look in the Games section, alot of other good stuff there regarding WineX :) I know DOlson just love WineX :)

Hey, where did you get the Palm OS emulator and does it emulate version 3.5???

Me? Yes... I got it from Palm:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pose/

The ROMs are not available to just anyone though... If you want them, I can get them though.