What is "Knotify"?

no21

I keep running into problems when Linux is trying to boot.

I installed Mandrake 10 CE on a slave drive today, and it will not boot up completely. (I'm the "newbie" who started the 'Total Newbie attempting to install Manrake' thread.)

Anyway, when Linux is starting up, it shows that KDE 3.2 is loading up, and it goes through all those icons until it is 85% done and it just stops on that last icon with the test reading "Restoring session". The icon it stops on looks like a big 'K' with a sun behind it. The sun is flashing.

INitially, I noticed that there is actually an error message behind the KDE startup logo. The message says, "During previous startup, Knotify crashed while instantiating Knotify. Do you want to try again or disable aRts sound output."

If I click "Try Again" the system just hangs.

If I click "Disable" the system just hangs.

Suggestions?

What is "Knotify?"

Edited by no21

Knotify is defianately a part of KDE. Did you try starting as root or user? I would probably want to reinstall KDE ( KDE can be finicky sometimes). If you do, don't forget to either delete or rename the hidden .kde folder in your /home/user. Can you start up another desktop or window environment?

Did you try starting as root or user?

I'm not sure if I know enough to even answer that question. I believe during installation I set it up to log in as a user automatically.

I would probably want to reinstall KDE ( KDE can be finicky sometimes). If you do, don't forget to either delete or rename the hidden .kde folder in your /home/user.

I'm a big enough newbie that I don't know how to reinstall KDE. Could you provide any links or instructions to help me along?

Maybe I should try re-installing and telling it that I want GNOME to be my environment on startup instead of KDE.

Can you start up another desktop or window environment?

I don't believe so. I can ctrl-alt-f1 into a console and access everything, but when I try something like xinit or startx it says:

"Using authority file /home/'username'/.Xauthority

Writing authority file /home/'username'/.Xauthority

Fatal Server error: Server is already active for display 0

I've tried re-installing 3 different times now, and it's the same problem every time.

I posted this in another thread, but I keep running into these two error messages during install:

xscreensaver-4.14-4mdk.i586 did not install properly, continue anyway?

xpdf-3.00-5mdk.i586 did not install properly, continue anyway?

I answer yes to those questions.

Maybe I should try re-installing and telling it that I want GNOME to be my environment on startup instead of KDE.

That may worth a shot here.

Sounds like something is messed up between your user and kde.

to reinstall KDE (from a command line):

urpme kdebase
rmdir .kde
urpmi kdebase

NOTE: this .kde dir contains the configs and settings that I am guessing are messed up here. (including that knotify thing)

Edited by scoopy

Well, I re-installed yet again and specified that I wanted GNOME instead of KDE as my startup manager. And, I am posting this message from Mandrake Linux now! Woo-hoo!

But, I kind of feel like I'm missing out on what KDE is...you know, so that I can try it out and compare it to GNOME. Maybe when I'm feeling 'brave' I'll try re-installing KDE like you suggested.

It's all new enough to me that I'm going to try to feel my way around GNOME just to get some experience.

Major differences between GNOME and KDE are what?

Major differences between GNOME and KDE are what?

You trying to start one of those "distro" type wars now. lol

I think the major diff is only in the way it looks and feels to your personnal senses. Some may argue that gnome is much more stable. I may agree with that, but do use KDE here, mostly because the apps I use most often are k-apps. (don't really matter tho, you can run gnome apps in kde and vice-versa anyway.)

Congrats :D and welcome to linuxland

Funny...I'm getting the same thing...tried multiple installs...with many different options...nothing worked to get into KDE...

I'm now trying Gnome...but it doesn't appear to be working either...I've got a mouse cousor that I can move aroung...a white bar at the top; the rest of the screen is blue....no text anywhere...and not really sure what else to try...help!!!