Kingston NIC support for 9.2

SurfahBoy808

I want to install mandrake 9.2 via ftp on my dad's computer. I just picked up a NIC from the store thinking that the mandrake install would pick up the NIC no problem. It says "no net device found." It works in windows fine, so I know it is a driver issue. I wish that I picked up a netgear one, but this was $10. I was wondering that if I could select a generic driver from the list and it would work. If so, which driver?

I've tried to look for compatibility with this NIC on www.mandrakelinux.com, but under "LAN devices," there is no Kingston brand listed. There is no Linux driver listed on Kingston's website. There has to be a way.

I would Google around to find a compatible card, otherwise shoot for Realtek and hope for the best. The fact that mandy didn't pick it up is not good though.

So why not return it? Tell them it doesn't work with your operating system and swop it for one that does. I wouldn't cry too loudly about $10.

Next time, check compatibility BEFORE buying... I learnt that lesson the hard way as well.

It's been a while (almost a year in fact) since last I've seen a kingston NIC card, but if I remember correctly, it's a realtek chip. I also remember installing Mandrake 9.0 into a friend's computer with Kingston NIC and it is autodetected and works fine. Now, the driver is either one of those realtek ones or tulip

Now, the gotcha is what firmware used for that NIC. I have a Compex NIC that has a realtek chip in it, but it doesn't work in linux. Why? Bad firmware. Knoppix detect it as RTL8029 but cannot load the driver, while Mandrake detect it as RTL8139 (and still cannot load the driver).

So the best way is to google for the answer for that particular model of that Kingston NIC. If forcing the driver doesn't work.. just buy another working pci NIC. 10 bux is nothing for you Westerners :P

Edited by DragonMage