Dial-up problems in mandrake10

VeeDubb

Okay. I have an external serial 56k modem for dial-up access connected to com2 (ttyS1). I also have a lan connection for a home network.

The home net works fine, but the problem is this.

I dial up to the internet and try to browse, and no pages will load. As far as I can tell, the connections are fine, but mandrake insists on using the lan, which does not connect to the internet.

How do I tell mandrake to use the modem instead of the lan?

This was realy easy in 9.0 through 9.2, but the network portion of the new mandrake controll center sucks for people with modems.

Client, but that doesn't matter. The problem is that the default route to the internet on my machine is through the network card and needs to be through the modem.

THat's all that needs fixed. I just don't know how. As a temporary fix, I can remove both connections through MCC and re-establish the dial-up. But of course, that leaves me with no home network.

you need to edit the ppp chat script (ifup-ppp0?) and eth0 (ifup-eth0?) scripts. Or look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

defaultroute needs to be added to pppd and taken from eth0? Sorry, I'm in w2k rt now so I can't look. I know you can add

defaultroute to /etc/ppp/options.

example of pppd on the cli;

pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS1 38400 \ 
asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \ 
noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

Edited by bvc