Linkys Wireless Card

Guest Brit

Hi all

I have just recently upgraded my wireless network hardware. having used linksys before i opted for them again, so i went and bought the WMP54-g card. Yes i know i was stupid, but i thought that that it would work. Alas NO.

Has anyone got this to work with Mandrake 9.2????

Ok i havent got a problem returning it and getting something else. If i have to can someone make any suggestions on which product to buy. I have the Linksys Wireless Router attached to a friends PC running XP, so it would have to be compatible to that.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Sue

Sue,

just to inform you: I have got a Linksys Wet11 Ethernet bridge to connect my Linux box with the net. But, set using DHCP, it doesn't work (or, perhaps, I cannot get it to work) under Mandrake. When running Mepis and LindowsOS they had no problem, I guess because they are Debian-based. Although Knoppix (3.3) did not work.

Anyhow, people here informed me the problem might be resolved if I used static IP addresses. So if you have a similar problem you know what to look for.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

hi all

After researching the net for an answer i found that the best way to get this card working is to load the opensource wrapper ndiswrapper.

>

But everything i have read tells me i have to recompile my kernel...

Why does it have to be that hard

Sue

Hmmm...the README in the pkg does not say anything about recompiling the kernel. You will, however, need the kernel source. Just

urpmi kernel-source

as root. Then in the ndiswrapper-0.5 directory, run

make install

Follow the rest of the instructions in the INSTALL and you should be fine.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

hi

Everything seemed to go great it says i have the driver installed...i followed all the instructions> When it tells me to configure the wlan. I type iwconfig i keep getting the response command not found.

Im not really sure what to do next

Sue

As root, type

urpmi wireless-tools

Any time you get a 'command not found', try the same command while logged in as root (you know how to 'su' to root, I'm pretty sure :)). If you still get 'command not found' and you aren't sure which pkg contains that executable, run this command (as root, of course):

urpmf iwconfig

That will tell you which package contains the executable. Like this:

[root@laptop omar]# urpmf iwconfig

wireless-tools:/sbin/iwconfig

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire