GUI problems

Gertjuuh

Hey,

I just recently installed Mandrake 9.2, installation went perfect, but as soon as I try to boot to linux, i get lots of OK's but 2 failures, namely on the loading of the GUI, loading eth0 and loading eth1, he says no DHCP is found... Does anybody know how I can fix it....

(never had a GUI so it's been like this from the installation)

my specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+

256 MB Ram

Nvidia FX 5600

I ran startX and it gave me the following error:

Execve failed for /etc/x11/x (errno 2)

Giving Up...

Xinit: No such file or directory (errno2): Unable to connect to X server.

Xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Running XFdrake didn't solve the problem...

Edited by Gertjuuh

Welcome,

eth0 Failed

We all get that one, but just ignore it cause it works and there is no fix.

When you ran XFdrake, and tested it, did you get the rainbow screen with a yes/no option ? and did it give you the choice to run either XFree 3.3.6 or 4.3 ?

I get no eth problem, if you don't use dhcp (so set static ip addresses) or you don't set eth0 to start at boot, or you have a dhcp server running somewhere on your network, there should be no such problem. BTW if you boot interactively, you can tell it not to start eth0.

I chose XFree 4.3, and I cant find an option to put in a static IP adress, the videocard driver seems to be working correctly, because i get the multi boot screen and when i type reboot in the command line, it reboots with the mandrake linux 9.2 screen

That's not the driver that's the general "X" graphical system for linux. It looks like it wasn't installed during your installation for some reason. Try running XFdrake again. You should get a screen with tabs labelled Graphic Card, Monitor, Resolution, Test, Options. You navigate with the keyboard arrows. Your graphics card driver should be GeForce FX (generic). Go through each tab and make sure you have it setup for your system. The Test tab allows you to check the configuration and will display multicolored bars accross the entire screen if the config is working OK. Keep trying til you get a configuration that tests OK. Under Options it will ask if you want X to start automatically when you boot. Answer "yes".

Note, the fact that XFree was not installed during the install indicates that something went really wrong and you may want to try to reinstall rather than fix what you have.

urmpi XFree86 (case sensitive) returned some installation, he started loading installation disk 1 and started nagging about XFree86-4.3-23mdh.i586.rpm... which wasn't on the cd.. then i ran rpm -qa | grep XFree86 and it returned

XFree86-xfs-4.3-23mdk

Xfree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3-23mdk

Let's back up here a minute. You should have three install cds for mdk9.2. Do you have all three? If so where did you get them? If you downloaded the isos, did you check the md5sums to make sure you have good downloads? For the rpm command, you should get this output:

rpm -qa | grep XFree
XFree86-4.3-24.4.92mdk
XFree86-server-4.3-24.4.92mdk
XFree86-xfs-4.3-24.4.92mdk
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3-24.4.92mdk

Try running this:

$ su

<enter root password>

# urpmi XFree86-4.3-24.4.92mdk

# urpmi XFree86-server-4.3-24.4.92mdk

Edited by pmpatrick

I have 3 CDs, I just downloaded the ISO files from an FTP server, and burned them on 3 CDs, didn't do anything else.. Was there something specific I needed to do before burning them?

If you haven't seen it ( :thumbs:), when running the rmp command, i`m missing these 2:

XFree86-4.3-24.4.92mdk

XFree86-server-4.3-24.4.92mdk

Edited by Gertjuuh

The rpm -qa command tells you what XFree packages you have installed on your system. I did see your post. The point of my post was to demonstrate that you are missing two necessary packages. You won't get a gui w/o those two packages. If you run the urpmi commands I gave you both should be installed; you'll be prompted to put in the necessary install cds when you run the commands. After installing the two missing packages, try running XFdrake again.

Where you downloaded the three isos, you should have also seen a fourth file called md5sum. It's a small text file and is used to check whether you got a corrupted download. Here's a link explaining md5sum:

http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

The reason I asked if you checked the md5sums is it's very unusual for the XFree packages to not install properly and could indicate you got a bad download or a bad burn.