adsl modem problem

garyohanlon

have had my speedtouch usb working once then i shut down rebooted and now it doesnt work!.

when i use the mandrake control center for a minute it tests my connection and then states i am not connected, i press the connect button but to no avail,

when i use the wizard it tells me i have succesfully set up and does not give me the option to test the connection or to start from boot as it did when first installed,

i have the alcatel sys file in the speedtouch folder and have used the internet on mandrake 9.2 once but cannot get anywhere at the moment, i am very new at this and have tried over the past year to migrate to linux with problems every time,

any suggestion would be welcome, i have trawlled the net for info but cannot seem to get it working wahtsoever, if there is someway of reseting the internet connections that may help...

thank you

If you enabled the firewall after you had it working, disable it temporarily and try again.

The shorewall configuration files that come with Mandrake don't work for everyone. Shorewall recommend that you download sample files from their website and tweak them.

I'm told the instructions are easy to follow, but I reverted to using iptables myself... :)

not to sound like a smarta**, but it could it be something as simple as your ISP is temporarily down? it happens from time to time. i mean, if your internet was working earlier, you didn't do anything that could have screwed up your settings, & now it's not working at the moment, i'd wait a bit & try it later before playing around with interent settings. or, call your ISP & ask them if there's any known toubles in your area.

Chris